Call for Artists: Deadline July 15, 2012
“Art in the Box” Installation art at the Fairgrounds located at the half-street-fairgrounds
Call For Artists
The Fairgrounds at the National Stadium has an opportunity for 10 artists to participate in a Art Installation with 10 Containers at the complex. Selected artists will have full access to create an interactive art installation where patrons will able to visit each of the installations and interact with the installation. Along with the installation there will be an opportunity for the artists to showcase their work in the market place area. Artists Art work will be for sale at the marketplace.
Although there is no specific theme, we promote innovative, original, and site-specific installations. Artists and curators are invited to submit proposed work, in 2D and 3D media, including but not limited to drawing, painting, pastel, printmaking, photography, mixed media, and sculpture. Each of the selected artists will be exhibited for a three long period. An area will be provided for artist bio and contact information.
Plan your installation to take advantage of the window’s unique space: which includes large street facing glass panels to the street, side door and open doors to the back.
There will be a 3 month series of art events around which the installation art will be the focus. Opening reception is tentatively Aug 4th and closing reception is October 5th.
Submission Requirements & Details
Interested artists please submit:
- Detailed Description of Proposed Project.
- A detailed Artist Statement
- Visual documentation: 20 images maximum. Please include only recent work that is relevant to the proposed exhibition. Image files should be in JPEG format.
- Please submit your complete application to email@example.com
- Submission deadline: July 15th
- Artist Chosen: July 16th
- Art Installation to be complete by July 29th
- No monies for installations provided.
- Artist artwork sold at the marketplace will be 100% the artists.
- Artist must be present to sell their artwork at the marketplace.
- Artwork in marketplace can be sold at any of the events the fairgrounds is open.
- There is no fee to submit for this Call for Artists.
- Containers are powered with outlets
- Containers have track lighting and florescent lighting.
You are able to turn off the current lighting as needed.
Container Dimensions are as follows:
- Inside Length 19’4″
- Inside Width 7’8″
- Inside Height 7’10″
- Door Width 7’8″
- Door Heigh 7’6″
About the Fairgrounds
Open daily May 1st through October 3rd, Fairgrounds the “hub” area which comprises 10 retail containers, food trucks, bars and a farmers market. On game days and weekends, the whole block-long venue will open at 11:30 am and stay open until 2 hours after the game ends. On non-game days, Fairgrounds will stay open through happy hour/dinner or the end of any event.
Ideally located at Half & M Streets, SE, on the large block just north of Nationals Park and directly across the street from the Navy Yard Metro station entrance, Fairgrounds is part of the Capitol Riverfront, DC’s new mixed-use community and neighborhood on the water.
Fairgrounds will serve customers coming to the ballpark for games; for a lunch, happy hour and dinner spot seven days a week; and as a unique shopping destination for the many office workers, residents and visitors to the neighborhood.
Weekend art markets, food and music festivals, including concerts, fundraisers, art fairs, Truckeroos, and an ESPN container broadcasting live, will augment the eighty-two scheduled baseball games to offer an exciting and eclectic center of activity in the Southeast Waterfront neighborhood and a regional destination as a fun, creative and always-interesting outdoor party. www.fairgroundsdc.com