Art Enables is an arts-entrepreneurial organization and our mission is to create professional pathways for artists with disabilities to create, market, and earn income from their original work while building the skills, relationships, and experiences necessary for a successful career in the arts. We offer our artists the environment, materials, and marketing support they need to develop and succeed as professionals. We envision a world where artists with disabilities can discover their creativity, showcase and market their work, and achieve professional success and a sense of self-determination without boundaries or barriers.
This is an exciting opportunity for a creative, energetic, and experienced individual in the arts to lead our efforts in promoting and maximizing opportunities and exposure for Art Enables’ artists, both onsite and in the community. The Gallery and Studio Manager will oversee gallery curation, studio production, and product and merchandise management. This position reports to, and works closely with, the Executive Director.
Gallery Curation and Management:
- Plan, coordinate, and curate all on and off-site gallery exhibits and workshops throughout the year, including setting exhibition schedules, readying artwork for shows, and coordinating publicity materials
- Partner with Art Enables artists and staff to determine themes and projects for exhibitions and shows
- Develop external relationships and partnerships with DC metro area galleries, artists, arts organizations, and arts related media outlets
- Oversee gallery esthetics and curation needs
- Liaison with visiting guests to the gallery and studio
- Maintain artist bios, CVs, photos, and related materials
Studio Production and Management:
- Coordinate schedule of activity and studio production, aligned with gallery show schedule
- Monitor studio production and oversee the diversity, balance, quality, and quantity of artwork being produced
- Provide artists with the technical help and guidance, as needed, to ensure they are working to the best of their ability, mastering tools and materials, and learning to exercise quality control over their artwork
- Support artists getting settled in the morning, and with coffee and lunch breaks, as needed
Product & Merchandise Management:
- Oversee artwork inventory and management, directly or through outsourced support (photographing artwork, editing images, cataloging, physical inventory management, etc.)
- Coordinate jurying process for existing and new work, quarterly or as needed
- Coordinate commission projects
- Manage online gallery and marketplace, ensuring accurate art inventory and sale information.
- Support corporate and other large sales opportunities
- Help develop and oversee merchandise strategy, selection, and inventory
Skills and Requirements:
- Commitment to Art Enables’ mission
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in arts administration, fine arts, art history, or related field is strongly preferred
- At least 4-5 years working experience in the arts, gallery management and/or curation experience preferred, but not required
- Work style that embodies creativity, flexibility, and initiative
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills with a strong ability to multi-task and prioritize work
- Outstanding written and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong technical proficiency and comfort working with technology, specifically applications & tools related to digital media, social media, and general office and administrative functions
- Strong team player and the ability to work well with different stakeholder groups
- Comfort working with individuals with disabilities
- A genuine interest in and enthusiasm for art, and specifically folk art
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends
How to Apply
Please email a resume and a thoughtful cover letter outlining how your skills, interests and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put the job title in the subject line of your email. Only complete applications will be reviewed.
Commitment to Diversity and Equal Opportunity Employment
Art Enables is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and seeks individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds to apply for this position. We believe that diversity of background and perspective are strengths, and seek to continue to grow a diverse, highly committed, skilled, and collaborative staff. Art Enables does not make hiring decisions on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, socio-economic background, age, disability, religion, political affiliation, ideology, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.