Deadline: August 31, 2012
This call is open to all artists and curators who are 18 years of age or older. There are no restrictions on media or residency.
About the Brentwood Arts Exchange
The Brentwood Arts Exchange is The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission’s component of the Gateway Arts Center, a public-private partnership that serves as an anchor for Prince George’s County Gateway Arts District. Dedicated to presenting and promoting the visual arts, the Brentwood Arts Exchange features a contemporary art gallery displaying diverse exhibitions, a Craft Showcase promoting local artisans, and a dynamic arts learning classroom/workshop. Since opening in March, 2010, the gallery has presented 16 exhibitions featuring regionally and nationally prominent artists as well as university and high school students, and has welcomed over 10,000 visitors. It is a place for people of all ages to meet, engage and learn about art, purchase locally made functional art, and explore new creative talents.
The art gallery is approximately 2,500 sq. ft. with 1,700 sq. ft. of exhibition space on an open floor plan. It features 14 ft. high ceilings, LED track lighting, and pristine white walls. The gallery is staffed by an attendant during all operating hours.
- Each proposal should include:
- An artist/curatorial statement that is no longer than one page.
- A résumé or Curriculum Vitae
- A CD/DVD containing 15-20 images of work samples; OR 2-5 segments of audio and/or video, each no longer than five minutes in duration; OR an appropriate combination of images, video, audio and web-based work.
- A list of works/images that includes titles, media, size, and dates created.
- An SASE for the return of materials. Materials will not be returned unless an SASE with adequate postage is provided.
Mailing address for Submission:
Brentwood Arts Exchange
3901 Rhode Island Avenue
Brentwood, MD 20722
Every effort will be made to review all submissions, regardless of format. However, please be aware that incompatible files may cause submissions to be rejected. Applicants are encouraged to format files as described below.
- No image files should be larger than 1MB.
- Image files should be formatted only as jpeg, tiff, or png.
- Video and audio files should be submitted as a DVD, or on a CD and formatted as Quicktime, Windows Media, .wav, or .mpeg files, as appropriate.
- Name each file: “last name” underscore “document” Example: jones_worksamplelist.pdf.
- Name image files similarly, but begin with a two-digit number that corresponds with the Work Sample List: Example: 01_jones_untitled.jpg
- Web-based work may be submitted as a URL listed in the work sample list. Web-based art is work of a nature such that it’s only appropriate manifestation is online. A portfolio website that features audio/video art and/or still images is NOT web-based art.
Proposals will be reviewed by the Brentwood Arts Exchange staff. Exhibitions will be selected based on the goals of presenting artwork of the highest quality and of engaging a broad range of audiences.
The Brentwood Arts Exchange provides full publicity for all exhibitions, including press releases, email announcements, printed cards, online and printed listings, and corollary events.
Shipping & Installation
When possible, the Brentwood Arts Exchange will provide transportation for artwork only within the Washington, DC region. We do not generally pay for shipping. Exhibitions will be installed and dismantled by M-NCPPC staff unless the nature of the work requires special assistance.
Sales & Insurance
The M-NCPPC will retain a 25% commission on all art works sold during or as a result of the exhibition. The M-NCPPC insures all consigned artworks while they are in the custody of the Brentwood Arts Exchange.
If you have any questions or would like additional information, please contact:
Phil Davis, Acting Director, Brentwood Arts Exchange
tel. 301-277-2863; tty. 301-446-6802; fax. 301-277-2865
- 10am – 7pm Monday – Friday.
- 10am – 4pm Saturday.
- Closed Sunday; Holidays