Deadline: Friday, June 16 by 5pm
AWS is seeking artists to create designs and paint murals on storm drains along 17th Street NW. The goal of these murals is to both raise awareness of storm drains as a connection to our local waterways and promote the neighborhood’s LGBTQ identity. Selected artists will receive a commission of $775 per storm drain. Materials will be provided. Designs are due by 5pm on June 16th. Mural installation will take place in late June/early July 2017.
Click here to download this information as a PDF.
- Design themes should include diversity, inclusivity, and should celebrate the LGBTQ identity of the neighborhood.
- Designs should incorporate an environmental theme and include the text: #TrashFreeDC
- Design cannot incorporate the drain entrance as a “mouth” for any animal/creature/person/etc.
- Murals must be applied using environmentally-friendly paint. Primer, paint, and sealer are provided by AWS. AWS will also supply basic paint brushes and rollers,
- Artists will be required to maintain the murals for up to one year after installation. This includes touching up worn away paint. In the event a mural needs maintenance, paint will be provided.
- To be eligible, an artist must live or have a place of business in the District of Columbia.
- Murals will be applied to 4 ft X 10 ft. storm drains along 17th Street NW at the intersections of P Street NW, Church Street NW, Corcoran Street NW, and R Street NW.
- Designs may incorporate some sidewalk space horizontally along the curb line, but MAY NOT use any street space. See images on reverse side.
Artwork will be reviewed and selected by a panel composed of local community members and staff representatives from the Anacostia Watershed Society, Mayor’s Office for LGBTQ Affairs, District Department of Transportation, Department of Energy and Environment, and Office of Planning. Evaluations will be based on the following criteria:
- Aesthetic strength (up to 30 pts)
- Incorporation of a diverse and inclusive theme that promotes the neighborhood’s LGBTQ identity (up to 30 pts)
- Incorporation of an environmental theme (up to 30 points)
- Submit up to 5 final designs. For each design, indicate the dimensions, colors used, a brief description about how the design connects to the LGBTQ neighborhood identity and the environment.
- A brief artist’s statement or bio.
- A statement affirming your ability to complete the mural in late June/early July 2017.
- Submissions must be emailed to Ariel Trahan at [email protected] by June 16, 2017 at 5pm.
Please contact Ariel Trahan at [email protected] or 301-699-6204 ext. 113.