Deadline to Apply: Saturday, September 6, 2014
Click Here to download the prospectus as a PDF.
Prince George’s Sampler
Over the past decade, Prince George’s County Maryland has built on its long history of cultivating the arts to become home to many of our region’s top artists. As the M-NCPPC’s annual juried exhibition of county artists returns to the Brentwood Arts Exchange, Prince George’s Sampler celebrates the diversity and richness of art in the county by presenting artwork in all media. We’re not asking artists to fit to a theme or a form – bring us what you most want to show. The show is open to work in 2-D, 3-D, video, sound, installation, and performance art.
This call is open to all artists and curators who are 18 years of age or older who live, work, study, or have a studio in Prince George’s County, Maryland
Juror – Myrtis Bedolla
Myrtis Bedolla is founding director of Galerie Myrtis, a contemporary fine art gallery located in Baltimore, Maryland. She possesses over 20 years of experience as an advisor to private and institutional collectors in the acquisition and sale of fine art; and provides professional curatorial services, lectures and educational programming to corporate, civic and arts organizations. She is the recipient of the Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship, African Language Institute, Shona Language and Culture, from Michigan State University; holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration from the University of Maryland, University College, and received her curatorial training at the Maryland Institute College of Art in Baltimore, Maryland. As cultural liaison for the embassies of Ghana, Haiti, Mali, Republic of Georgia and Zimbabwe; Ms. Bedolla uses art to encourage cultural exchange and awareness.
- September 6 – Deadline to apply
- September 19 – Artists notified
- October 20-22 – Artists drop off work at Brentwood Arts Exchange
- November 3 – Exhibition Opens to the public
- November 8 – Opening reception
- December 27 – Last day of exhibition
- December 30, Jan 2, 3, 5 – Artists pick up artwork
Applications may be submitted by mail or delivered in person and must arrive at the Brentwood Arts Exchange no later than 5pm on Saturday, September 6, 2014. We are not able to accept applications by email. Each application should include a CD/DVD containing:
- 3-5 images of artworks to be considered; OR 3-5 segments of audio and/or video, each no longer than five minutes in duration; OR an appropriate combination of images, video, audio and web-based work not to exceed 5 artworks.
- Artists submitting images of three-dimensional artwork may include up to 2 extra images as details or alternate views of the 3-5 artworks included in the application.
- A list of works/images that includes titles, media, size, and dates created.
- An artist’s statement relevant to the artwork submitted.
- A résumé or Curriculum Vitae.
- (optional) An SASE for the return of materials. Materials will not be returned unless an SASE with adequate postage is provided.
Attn: Prince George’s Sampler
Brentwood Arts Exchange
3901 Rhode Island Avenue
Brentwood, MD 20722
Guidelines for Digital Files
Effort will be made to review all submissions, regardless of format. However, please be aware that incompatible files may cause submissions to be rejected. Applicants are encouraged to format files as described below.
- Image files should be submitted in jpeg format and no larger than 1MB.
- Video and audio files should be submitted as a DVD, or on a CD and formatted as Windows Media, wav, mpeg, or mp4 files, as appropriate.
- Name each document file: “last name” underscore “document” Example: jones_worksamplelist.pdf.
- Name image files similarly, but begin with a two-digit number that corresponds with the
- Work Sample List: Example: 01_jones_untitled.jpg
- Web-based work may be submitted as a URL listed in the work sample list. Web-based art is work of a nature such that it’s only appropriate manifestation is online. A portfolio website that features audio/video art and/or still images is NOT web-based art.
Shipping & Installation
Artists are solely responsible for transporting their artwork to and from the gallery. The artwork delivered must match the images submitted for consideration and must be delivered in good condition and properly presented. Please direct specific questions about presentation to the Brentwood Arts Exchange Gallery Director. All artwork will be installed by Brentwood Arts Exchange staff. Exceptions, such as for installation artworks, will be made at the Gallery Director’s discretion.
Sales & Insurance
The M-NCPPC will retain a 25% commission on all art works sold during or as a result of the exhibition. The M-NCPPC insures all consigned artworks under The M-NCPPC self-insurance fund while they are in the custody of the Brentwood Arts Exchange.
If you have any questions or would like additional information, please contact:
LaTasha Banks, Visual Arts Specialist
7833 Walker Dr.
Greenbelt, MD 20770
Phil Davis, Acting Director, Brentwood Arts Exchange
3901 Rhode Island Ave.
Brentwood, MD 20722