Deadline: December 10, 2011
All submissions must be received by 4:00pm
Location: Lowe House Office Building, Prince George’s Delegation Area, Annapolis, MD. January 11 – April 9, 2012
The Prince George’s Department of Parks and Recreation, Arts and Cultural Heritage Division, in partnership with the Prince George’s Arts and Humanities Council, is pleased to announces Memories from All Directions, this year’s exhibition of Prince George’s County artists in the Lowe House Office building in Annapolis, during the Maryland General Assembly/ the Legislative Session.
Memories define much about who we are. Memories can also define places, culture, and how we see ourselves as a community. Our individual memories influence how we interact in our shared space, and our shared memories influence the directions we take to shape our towns, our county, and our state. Memories from All Directions gives us an opportunity to reflect upon all of these things by asking artist to present artwork related to memories, as they define it. As we and our legislative leaders come together to make important decisions to shape our future, this exhibition celebrates Prince George’s County art and artists as well as art’s unique ability to express the experiences that bring us all together.
- Deadline for receipt of entries: December 10
- Notification of selected works: December 17
- All notifications will be sent by email.
- Artwork drop-off period: January 2 – 7
- Exhibition Opens: Week of January 11
- Opening Reception: Monday, January 23
- Exhibition closes: April 13
- Artwork pick-up period: April 16-29
ELIGIBILITY & SUBMISSION CRITERIA
This call for entries is open to all artists 18 years old or older who live, work, attend school or have studios in Prince George’s County, MD. Artists may submit a maximum of 5 artworks for consideration. All works must be original. Artworks may use any media. However, in order to be considered for the exhibition, artworks must incorporate memory as an important theme. Art works must also be presentation-ready and able to hang on a wall without projecting off the wall in such a way that they could obstruct or endanger foot traffic in the exhibition area.
All works must follow the Maryland House of Delegates guidelines for displaying artwork. To receive a copy of these guidelines artist may contact staff at the Brentwood Arts Exchange at (301) 277 – 2863 or contact the Prince George’s Arts and Humanities Council at (301) 277-1402.
Artists selected to have their artworks exhibited in Memories from All Directions will receive an honorarium of $100.
WHAT TO SEND
Materials should be submitted by mail or delivered in person to the Brentwood Arts Exchange, in the Gateway Arts Center, 3901 Rhode Island Avenue, Brentwood, MD 20722. Please send:
- Your name and contact information, including address, telephone number, and email.
- A CD/DVD containing up to 5 images.
- A printed list of the works submitted with titles, media, and dimensions.
- If your mailing address is not in Prince George’s County but you are eligible to apply under other criteria, please provide a very brief explanation of your eligibility (i.e. your in-county studio address, etc.)
- Optional: An artist’s statement
- If you would like your materials returned, please include an SASE. Materials sent without an SASE will not be returned.
Please note: Only entries sent in digital formats will be accepted for entries. We will not review printed images, slides, or original artworks. We regret that we cannot accept submissions via email. Digital files must be submitted on a CD/DVD.
MAILING ADDRESS FOR SUBMISSIONS:
Attn: Memories from All Directions
Brentwood Arts Exchange
3901 Rhode Island Ave.
Brentwood, MD 20722
GUIDELINES FOR DIGITAL FILES
Effort will be made to review all submissions, regardless of format. However, please be aware that incompatible files may cause submissions to be rejected. Applicants are encouraged to format files as described below.
- Image files should not be larger than 1MB, and should be formatted as jpeg or tiff.
- Video submissions may be submitted as a DVD or on a CD and formatted as mpeg, or mpeg-4.
- Name each file according to the following format: “last name” underscore “document”. Example: jones_imagelist.pdf.
- Please number each image/video file corresponding to the work sample list. Example: 01_jones_stilllifewithguitar.jpg
All artists will be informed of acceptance or non-acceptance by email. Artists who do not have email addresses may request to be notified by mail.
DELIVERY & INSTALLATION
Artists are responsible for transporting work to and from the drop-off/pickup location at the Brentwood Arts Exchange. Artwork must be delivered ready to hang and appropriately presented. Artworks that differ significantly from the images submitted for judging or are not ready for gallery installation may be rejected. If you need to ship the work, please call us to let us know what arrangements you have made.
The exhibition will be transported, installed, and dismantled by M-NCPPC staff or third parties contracted by the M-NCPPC. All work accepted for exhibition will remain at the exhibition site for the duration of the exhibition.
SALES & INSURANCE
The M-NCPPC will retain a 25% commission on all artworks sold during, or as a result of the exhibition. The M-NCPPC will insure all consigned artwork in the custody of the Brentwood Arts Exchange from the time they are received by delivery, until the pick-up date only.
If you have any questions or would like additional information, please contact: Phil Davis, Assistant Director, Brentwood Arts Exchange [email protected] tel. 301-277-2863; tty. 301-446-6802