Deadline for Submission EXTENDED: September 2, 2014
The DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities (DCCAH) joins with the DC Office of Asian and Pacific Islander Affairs (OAPIA) to invite local artists or artistic teams to provide two-dimensional design proposals for a pre-fabricated panda sculpture.
Individual Artists and Artistic Teams are requested to respond to this Call to Artists with professional and emerging qualifications. Artists or teams are asked to submit up to three (3) designs in the form of two-dimensional drawings, renderings or paintings. Digital media designs illustrating the design on the panda and mixed media proposals will also be accepted.
Artists must be able to replicate the design in a three-dimensional format -hence the panda sculpture as pictured (above).
The Panda Project is part of a special artistic exchange for the District of Columbia’s Sister Cities Program within the DC Office of the Secretary. In late September 2014, a Chinese Delegation from Beijing will visit the District for a series of events and programs. The panda statue will be used to highlight the city as a symbol of cultural and economic exchange between the District of Columbia and the Chinese Embassy.
This opportunity is open to artists based in the Washington, DC metropolitan area (including surrounding areas in Maryland and Virginia) with special preference given to artists living in Washington, DC.
The selected artist will receive a $4,000.00 honorarium, which will include design fee and all costs associated with design execution, materials and travel. The applicant should also have an appropriate studio space that can accommodate the sculpture during the painting process. Transportation of the panda sculpture to and from the studio space and associated costs will be covered by DCCAH.
- July 11, 2014: Release of Invitational Request for Proposals
- September 2, 2014, 5:00: PM EST EXTENDED Deadline for receipt of application materials
- Week of September 2, 2014: Review proposals and select finalist
- September 2014: Project execution and completion
- TBD September/October: Sculpture dedication
DCCAH will convene a Selection Committee representing diverse interests and expertise to review proposals and qualifications of the applicants that respond to this call. The committee will use the following criteria in selecting a finalist for the project, which candidates should address in their letter of interest:
- Artistic excellence and innovation as evidenced by past work.
- Creativity in enriching the public realm, streetscape or other public environments and the ability to animate public space.
- Manner in which the artist interprets cultural, social and aesthetic intersections between the District of Columbia and the Republic of China.
- Ability to connect with and engage the local community as well as the visiting public.
- Ability to work within a condensed and aggressive timeline (2-3 weeks for project completion).
About the Panda Statue:
The pre-fabricated panda sculpture is fabricated from polyurethane and foam insulation with a steel armature inside the body of the statue for stability.
The statue is primed with stratum white powder and weighs 150 lbs. It will be mounted on a 500 lb. cement base. Specific recommendations for painting and/or adhering materials on the panda will be provided in detail to the selected artist or artist team.
Statue – 54″ (H) x 42″ (W) Base – 46″ (W)
Please submit the following materials through SlideRoom (instructions provided below).
- Completed Application Form (see attached form on page 5). If you would prefer to type the form, please include full legal name(s) (and other professional name as applicable), mailing address, daytime phone, evening phone, email address, Website (optional).
- Letter of Interest addressing how you meet selection criteria.
Resume or Bio:
- Up to 3 Design Proposals for the Panda.
- 3 to 5 digital images of previous work. Please submit high quality jpgs (do not use giffs, tiffs or other formats). Please do not embed images into PowerPoint or PDF documents.
- Image List (title, year, medium, dimensions) corresponding to submitted images.
Deadline for Submission: Application materials must be received by Tuesday, September 2nd, 2014, 5:00 pm EST.
How to Apply:
Applications must be submitted online through SlideRoom. Please follow the link https://dcarts.slideroom.com/#/permalink/program/21351/GBY2xv6csN to upload all requisite application materials. In order to access the application portal, all applicants will first be prompted to create a SlideRoom account, at no cost. Once logged into the newly created account, applicants will be able to submit all materials outlined above. Any incomplete submissions at the time will be disqualified. The SlideRoom cost for each application is $10.00 and is payable online atthe end of the SlideRoom application. Should you have any issues with the SlideRoom portal, please contact us so that we may assist you or make alternative arrangements for submission.
Contact the following DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities staff members with questions:
Tonya Jordan, DCCAH Public Art Manager
Elizabeth Carriger, DCCAH Public Art Coordinator
200 I (Eye) Street, SE- Suite 1400
Washington, DC 20003
202.724-5617 or 202.724-5613