Deadline: Sunday, April 30 at 11:59pm (MDT)
The City of Alexandria’s Office of the Arts invites artists and artist teams residing or working in Virginia, Maryland, or the District of Columbia, to submit proposals for participation in a Community Supported Art initiative.
Built upon the traditional Community Supported Agriculture model that provides opportunities for consumers to buy seasonal food directly from local farmers, Community Supported Art (CSA) provides a unique way to inspire new collectors to become art patrons, introduces unfamiliar artists to seasoned collectors, and supports visual artists in the region.
Interested collectors will purchase a share box and in return receive six original works of locally produced artwork by the selected artists. Share boxes will be distributed at a “pick-up party” in early fall.
Six artists or artist teams will be selected to participate in the 2017 CSA. Each artist will be required to create 50 pieces of original art for the program. All media will be considered, including, but not limited to, ceramics, textiles, photography, printing/letterpress, metal work, carved/turned wood, glass, paper arts, painting, etc. All artwork must be original, handcrafted by the artist. No giclees will be accepted.
Each selected artist or artist team will be paid $2,000 to create fifty (50) original pieces of art. Each piece must be identical or similar in quality and design.
Eligible artists must be 18 years or older and reside or work in Virginia, Maryland, or District of Columbia.
Artist Selection Criteria
Applicants must demonstrate the following qualifications:
- Artistic merit of body of work
- Probability of successful execution and completion of the proposed artwork
- Appropriateness of qualifications for the project
- Completion of application
- Include 4 images of artwork in the proposed project medium
- Provide a written proposal that clearly describes the artwork they will produce for the CSA
- Submit a resume. All members of artist teams must include individual resumes
Timeline (subject to change without notice)
- Sunday, April 30: applications due
- Tuesday, May 9: Artist finalists notified
- Friday, September 1: Artwork due in Alexandria
All artists must apply online.
Sandra Depew, Office of the Arts, City of Alexandria, Virginia [email protected]
Questions must be submitted via email. Applications will not be accepted via email.