UPDATED Deadline: Monday, January 11 at 9pm
ReCreative Spaces is now accepting submissions for installation artwork proposals on behalf of the Office of the Arts for the Recreation, Parks & Cultural Activities Department of Alexandria, Virginia for their SmART Space Program. Installation art is used in the broadest sense. They are looking for innovative, compelling, and community-inclusive work. All mediums, styles, and collaborations, including those not necessarily associated with installation artwork will be considered. Group submissions are encouraged. There is no fee to submit.
SmART Space Program Details
As a way to drive business, collaboration, and vibrancy into otherwise vacant properties, a roster of ten artists or groups will be selected to create installation work over the course of approximately ninety days within vacant, commercial properties throughout Alexandria, VA. The spaces will not all become available at the same time. As spaces are available, artists will be notified, with at least two week’s lead time. Artists selected but not available for that particular time frame will be moved to the end of the list and notified again once another property becomes available. Selected artists are not guaranteed an opportunity.
The spaces will be equipped with heating/cooling units as well as bathroom access.. It is important to note, however, that these spaces may be raw or have equipment left over from previous tenants. Part of the work may be finding ways to work with, or around, these raw space elements. Please note, the structure of this project does not allow for a retail component onsite. It is at the discretion of each artist/group to decide on sales of completed work offsite.
- Be paid a commission of $2,500-$5,000 per project, paid in installments depending on the size, scale, and scope of the work
- Be expected to be present for a minimum of 10 hours weekly, so that the public may enter and view the space and work in progress
- Be expected to use the entire ninety days to create their work. This program is as much about the process as it is the final product
- Be responsible for purchase of all project materials
- Be required to deinstall and remove all work at the end of the ninety day residency
- Be required to enter into a contract agreement with the City of Alexandria and will be responsible for any damages done to the space as a result of their residency
- Projects that require fire, extreme heat or processes that create airborne particulate matter or hazardous waste are not allowed
Alexandria Office of the Arts will:
- Provide property insurance and handle all utilities and other fees related to building maintenance
- Provide marketing support for each space
- Collaborate with each artist/group to support and promote an opening/closing event, to take place on the final day of the installation period
- Provide direct access to a SmART Space Manager (ReCreative Spaces staff member) who can answer questions and be onsite as needed to assist with project implementation
Eligibility Requirements Artists must:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be a resident of Virginia, Maryland, or Washington, DC
- Have a reliable means of transportation to Alexandria, VA for the duration of the residency
Submission Deadline: Friday, December 11, 9pm
Please submit a proposal that includes:
- A brief statement about your proposed project (up to 500 words)
- A brief statement about the impact you hope to have by creating this particular work, in this particular setting (up to 500 words)
- A visual representation of your proposed project (sketch, collage, etc)
- A short bio of the artist(s) who will be working on the project
- 5-7 photos or video links of previous work
All submissions should be emailed to [email protected] SmART Space Program Submissionin the subject line. ReCreative Spaces will contact you if additional information is needed to make a decision.
Artists will be notified by Monday, December 21
For more information, please visit www.recreativespaces.com/news