Deadline: Thursday, March 31, 2016
To download the applicant information form, click here.
What is it?
The Fellowship provides a 2 year membership in Touchstone Gallery in downtown DC. This guarantees a solo exhibition as well as participation in gallery group shows, mentorship and a presence on the gallery website. The monetary value of the fellowship exceeds $4500.00.
Who can apply?
The Fellowship is awarded to one or more emerging artists in the Washington area who have not been represented by a commercial gallery in at least 10 years.
How to apply?
The application process for the 2016-2018 fellowship program is now open. The application and related information can be found on the TFA website,
What is The Touchstone Foundation for the Arts (TFA)?
- TFA is a non-profit organization founded by the artists of Touchstone Gallery in downtown Washington, D.C.
- Touchstone Gallery has been contributing to the DC art scene for over 35 years.
- Our main objective at TFA is to enrich community life through the visual arts.
- The TFA Artist Fellowships are made possible by the generosity of our friends and supporters.
What is a Touchstone Foundation Emerging Artists Fellow?
The Fellowship for Emerging Artists is a project of the Touchstone Foundation for the Arts. Artists living in the DC capital region are eligible to apply if they have not been represented by a commercial gallery in the previous 10 years. The Fellowship is awarded based on artistic merit and the ability of the fellow to benefit by association with the Touchstone Gallery.
Founded in 1976, Touchstone Gallery is an artist-owned commercial gallery located in the heart of downtown DC at 901 New York Avenue NW. The Gallery created the independent Touchstone Foundation for the Arts (TFA) in 2012 in order to expand a commitment to community involvement.
- TFA Fellows become full members of Touchstone Gallery for two years, culminating in a solo show at the end of this period.
- The expenses of membership and of the show are paid by the Foundation.
- At least one work in any expanded All-Member Show and at least one work in monthly group shows.
- Bin space for storage of additional 2 pieces which are presented to potential buyers who show interest in a particular artist and up to five pieces in the canvas bins.
- Participation in other exhibition opportunities arranged by the gallery, i.e., exchange shows, off site shows, etc.
- Multiple images represented on gallery website & promotional notebook kept in the gallery
- Publicity in newspapers & online blogs.
- Vote on matters before the membership.
- After two years the youth member may choose a member category and continue membership in their chosen category.
- 40% commission on work sold by the gallery, 25% commission on work sold due to gallery referral.
- Gallery staffing one day a month. There will be a penalty for missing a gallery staffing. assignment without arranging for coverage.
- Serving on one of the active gallery committees.
- Attendance at bimonthly meetings.
Applications will be reviewed by the Touchstone Foundation for the Arts Board of Directors in April, 2016. A small group of finalists will be asked to submit actual artwork and to be interviewed. In May 2016, one or more applicants will be awarded a Touchstone Foundation Fellowship for 2016-2018, to begin in June, 2016.
For questions about the TFA Artists Fellowship, email [email protected] or call Ksenia Grishkova, the TFA Director, at 202-347-2787.