Open Studio: Thursday, March 20 from 6pm to 8pm.
Visit the Arts Walk at Monroe Street Market’s Third Thursday Open Studios. Meet the artists, buy some art and join in the activities and events. Most studios will be open and each artist will have something different to offer visitors.
Artist directory (courtesy Cultural DC):
- Only Make Believe – Studio #1 Only Make Believe creates and performs interactive theatre for children in hospitals and care facilities.
- Image Bearer Pictures – Studio #2 Image Bearer Pictures is an award-winning documentary production company dedicated to stories of hope, transformation and reconciliation.
- Stitch & Rivet – Studio #3 Stitch & Rivet is the workspace of Katie Stack. The studio is home to millinery, leather work and accessories for men and women. Katie offers classes in a variety of subjects including sewing, millinery, leatherwork and general crafts.
- AK Arts – Studio #4 AK Arts is the shared project of husband and wife team Avner Ofer and Kate Krezel. Avner Ofer Photography specializes in images from around the world. Udacha Designs creates beautiful and functional one-of-a-kind pieces using reclaimed and salvaged leather.
- Analog – Studio #5 A handmade and vintage studio and store front by Craftgasm and Beltway Vintage. Analog is dedicated to appreciating, upcycling and recycling the clothing, accessories and paper goods of yesteryear.
- TOLBERT & BING Gallery & Studio – Studio #6 TOLBERT & BING provide professional photography services, including: headshots of models, actors, singers and other professionals. They specialize in wedding photography and offer fine art prints for sale.
- Washington Drawing Center – Studio #7 Non-profit drawing center offering weekly open life-drawing sessions, access to a Takach 24 x 36 inch etching press and bi-monthly printmaking workshops. Resident artists are: Katherine Quan, Dan Randall and Paul Reuther.
- Wild Hand Workspace – Studio #8 The workspace, studio and multi-use art space of photographer Victoria Milko and Panda Head’s Morgan Hungerford West.
- C.D. Edwards Studio – Studio #9 Cheryl Edwards is a fine artist and painter creates art and hosts shows in her studio.
- Magpie – Studio #10 Jeanne Garvey is an avid collector of small things. She creates shadow boxes, collage assemblages and jewelry that give renewed purpose to found objects.
- Charles Bergen Studios – Studio #11 Charles Bergen creates sculpture and custom furniture using locally sourced wood that’s new and reclaimed. Framing services are also available.
- Maroulla Sculpture – Studio #12 Artist Maroulla Morcos is a sculptor who works primarily in stone.
- Catalyst Projects – Studio #13 Catalyst Projects provides relevant programming to artists and art enthusiasts through educational resources such as panel discussions, workshops and contemporary art exhibitions.
- Torruella Quander Gallery, LTD – Studio #14 Carmen Torruella-Quander is a representational artist whose work includes portraits, still life, landscapes and the occasional clay figure. Painting classes are available in English and Spanish.
- Studio ECO Bricolage – Studio #15 Leda Black, Marcelle Fozard + Annalisa Leonessa work in assemblage, digital imagineering, knitted sculpture, chicken icons, surprising jewelry, environmental interventions, hand-spun art yarn, book arts, art clothing and patterned language. The artists will host the Brookland Craft Cafe, yarn bombing events, workshops and meet-ups.
- Alejandro Pintado – Studio #17 Alejandro Pintado is a visual artist. In the studio he creates drawings, paintings and scale-models for large sculptures and installations.
- Papurniture – Studio #18 Artist Dino Almaguer creates recycled paper furniture and functional art.
- Rebound Designs – Studio #19 Artist Caitlin Phillips rescues unwanted books from library discards, thrift stores, attics and yard sales, and transforms them into one-of-a-kind book purses, wallets, tablet and e-reader covers.
- Studio 20 – Studio #20 Lisa Farrell, Michael Pierce and Carson Murdach. Painting, Drawing, Printmaking and Sculpture.
- Studio 21 is a gallery and workshop space for visual arts created by Dance Place’s Founding Director, Carla Perlo. Studio 21 provides an excellent opportunity to nurture the visual arts alongside Dance Place’s rich performing arts history.
- Cedric Baker Studio – Studio #23 Artist Cedric Baker creates paintings, drawings and videos.
- Fred Joiner + American Poetry Museum (Jon West-Bey) – Studio #25 Fred Joiner and Jon West-Bey cultivate and curate creative work to display the many ways in which poetry occurs in American life and beyond. Featuring public readings, micro- and small theater, writing workshops, small film screenings and more, the artists will foster the creative thought process they call Poetic Thinking.
- Sue Wrbican – Studio #26 Sue Wrbican is a visual artist working with installation, photography and video. The artist also works with Floating Lab Collective.
- The Banished? ARTillery (Banished? Productions) – Studio #27 The banished? ARTillery is an urban, multi-use art space for artists and audiences to meet and share knowledge, tools and skills. The banished? ARTillery is an urban, multi-use art space for artists and audiences to meet and share knowledge, tools and skills.
Arts Walk at Monroe Street Market is located at 716 Monroe St NE just above the Brookland Metro station.