Fridays, June 2 & 16 – Friday ARTnights: Drop-In Figure Drawing
The Capitol Hill Arts Workshop (CHAW) hosts a drop-in “Working from the Figure” session on Friday, June 2, 2017 and Friday, June 16, 2017 from 6:30-9:30 p.m. at CHAW, 545 7th Street, SE. Work on drawings or paintings in front of a live model in a session without formal instruction, facilitated by artist Will Fleishell. Please bring your own drawing materials. Easels are available. The session is $15 for drop-in students. For more information, visit www.chaw.org or call (202) 547-6839.
Saturday, June 3 – Capitol Hill Art League Artist’s Choice Closing Reception
This non-juried spring show showcases artist-selected works by local CHAL members that have not been exhibited in the past. The closing reception will take place 5:00pm-7:00pm on Saturday, June 3 at CHAW, 545 7th St. SE, and is free and open to the public—including wine, cheese, and conversation with the artists. General gallery hours are: 9:30 am–9:00 pm (M-Th), 9:30 am–6:00 pm (F), and 9:00 am–2:00 pm (Sat). Gallery is free and open to the public. The exhibit will run May 20-June 3 in the Gallery. For more information, visit www.chaw.org or call (202) 547-6839.
And coming up: CHAL Solo Shows will run throughout the summer (June 19-August 15) in the CHAW Gallery, 545 7th St. SE.
Wednesday, June 7-Saturday, June 17 – CHAW Adult Student Art Show
There is no specific theme, but the twice-yearly Adult Student shows provide an opportunity for adult student artists at Capitol Hill Arts Workshop to display their work and share it with family, friends and the wider Hill community. There will be a range of work from photography and ceramics to painting and drawing. The judge for the show is noted DMV artist, Greg Skrtic. He will be selecting work for awards, which will be announced at the opening reception on June 10. The Gallery is located at Capitol Hill Arts Workshop, 545 7th St. SE. General gallery hours are: 9:30 am–9:00 pm (M-Th), 9:30 am–6:00 pm (F), and 9:00 am–2:00 pm (Sat). Gallery is free and open to the public. For more information, visit www.chaw.org or call (202) 547-6839.
Friday, June 9 – Friday ARTnights: Paint & Sip
Join the Capitol Hill Arts Workshop (CHAW) for Paint and Sip, part of CHAW’s popular Friday ARTnights program, for an evening of painting and wine on Friday, June 9, 2017 from 6:30-8:30 p.m. at CHAW, 545 7th Street, SE. Receive step-by-step instruction from CHAW teaching artists Ellen Cornett and Sheppard Bear as you create your own masterpiece, all while enjoying snacks and wine. $30 includes all materials and refreshments. Please call CHAW at (202) 547-6839 to register. For more information, visit www.chaw.org.
Saturday, June 10 – CHAW’s 45th Birthday Bash
Celebrate 45 years of building community through the arts with the Capitol Hill Arts Workshop and friends! Programs and events will be running throughout the day, so stop by any time for art, food, fun, and friends.
All activities are FREE and open to the public; all ages welcome. All events (excluding the fun run/walk) take place in CHAW’s building (located at 545 7th St. SE) at the following times:
- 9am: Fun Run/Walk around the Capitol Hill Alphabet Animal Public Art Project (Start at Summit to Soul, 727 8th St. SE and end at CHAW for a popsicle party) – Grab a map and get going! There will be 10 stops on this fun run/walk, led by Summit to Soul owner Kim Wattrick and special guest, Ward 6 Council Member Charles Allen! Collect stickers from all ten stops and enter to win fun prizes back at CHAW. In partnership with Capitol Hill BID.
- 11am-12pm: NSO In Your Neighborhood Chamber Concert – Two Divas and a Bear
- CHAW Student Music and Dance Recitals
- Shop ‘n Drop
- Ceramics Sale
- Student Art Exhibitions
- Pizza from &pizza; treats from The Sweet Lobby
- 4:30pm – CHAW Adult Student Show Reception; wine, cheese, nibbles, and words from the juror.
- Throughout the Day –
- Special guest performers, including: Light Switch Dance Theatre, Taffety Punk Theatre Company, and Washington Improv Theatre.
- Registration for CHAWdance, Summer Camp, Summer Adult Classes