Classes: Saturday and Sunday, May 16-17 form 10am to 4pm
Classes are taught in Diane’s studio in the Lanham/College Park, MD Area. Diane travels upon request. Inquire with her for further details.
Spring 2015 Dates:
May 16-17. Classes run from 10am to 4pm, or scheduled at your convenience, weekdays or weekends. An optional 3rd day can be added as listed below. Please inquire with Diane for further details.
Once the students experience the drama of the “strike,” when the dyes hit the dry silk, they are hooked. Welcome to the world of painting on silk. Leave your cares at the door, bring a friend, and step into a creative atmosphere. This is your opportunity to unwind and express yourself as you are guided with Diane’s expertise through this incredible art form.
No prior painting or art skills required. Even if you have never picked up a brush, you can share in the joy of painting on silk as you watch the dyes or paints glide through the silk.
2 Day Workshop Details:
- A brief introduction to the history of Painting on Silk
- A brief introduction of Diane’s Role as a Silk Painting Pioneer in the United States
- Basic Silk Painting Techniques and Vocabulary – Stretching, Diluting, Resisting, Spotting, Salting, Double loading, Wet-on-wet, Fabric setting, and more
- Product knowledge – In depth discussion with many visual samples of hand painted fabrics
- Using Traditional Silk Dyes, Students will create 8 pieces that they take home with them
- helpful assessment of students’ progress included
- All painting material provided – Students only need bring their lunch and latex gloves
Optional Additional 3rd Day: Everything from the 2 Day Workshop, Plus:
- Using liquid silk paints for all fabrics, instead of dyes
- Students learn the process of painting with this product
- Students paint and complete one silk scarf that they can take home
- Inquire with Diane for further details
2 Day Introductory Workshop: $200:
- Beyond instruction from Diane, Pricing Includes: all silk painting materials needed by the student: dyes, a stretching frame and tape for frame protection, push pins to stretch the silk, plastic cups and lids, dilutant for dyes or paints, resists and the applicators, designs, water cup, assorted brushes, salts, pens, several products for different techniques. (Students only need bring their lunch and latex gloves)
Optional Additional Days: $100 for each optional additional day:
- Pricing includes any additional materials. Inquire with Diane for further details.