M A S T H E A D
Phil Hutinet — Publisher
Jess Oros — Events, Classes & Calls Editor
Wade Carey — Senior Contributor and Editorial Advisor
Claudia Rousseau, Ph.D. — Editor-at-Large
Eric Hope — Senior Contributor
Weekend Listings and Newsletter Production
Jess Oros — Weekend Listings Production
Phil Hutinet — Email Newsletter Production
Jan Aucker — Contributor
Eric Celarier — Contributor
Ted Coltman — Contributor and Copy Editor
Elsabé Johnson Dixon — Contributor
Michael Janis — Contributor
Sarah McGavran, Ph.D. — Contributor
Miguel Resendiz — Contributor
Ashley Shah — Contributor
Rachelle L. Williams — Contributor
Sarah McPhie— Cutting Edge Design — Graphic Production
All content © East City Art Media LLC. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this publication may be reproduced without written permission of the publisher.
- Offices located at 921 Pennsylvania Avenue SE, Suite 304, Washington DC, 20003
- Telephone: 202.468.5277
- Email all inquiries to editor [at] eastcityart.com
We began East City Art on January 4, 2010 to present the visual arts of Washington, DC and the surrounding region in its rawest and most autochthonous forms, challenging the widely-held notion sustained by local and national media that art in the Nation’s Capital derives either from the large institutions on the Mall or from the Connecticut-Wisconsin Avenue NW corridors of wealth and privilege.
In the past eight years, we have successfully dispelled these myths and changed the conversation by presenting a more plural, empirically-based narrative of DC’s rich visual arts culture which, unlike most cities in the US, is one that is artist-driven rather than collector-driven.
As we enter the next five years of coverage of the DC art world, we watch with uncertainty as DC continues to change rapidly, for better or for worse. Skyrocketing real estate values and unrestrained development threaten to eradicate much of the city’s native culture and permanently displace local artists who reside within the city limits.
Event Publication Guidelines
Thank you for considering East City Art. If you’d like something posted, please return the favor by reading all of the guidelines below before submitting your request.
We publish the following: 1) a print publication (March, September & December ), 2) articles and notices online daily including a weekly arts roundup column and 3) a weekly email-newsletter. The information listed below is for online and email newsletter publication.
WE ONLY COVER THE VISUAL ARTS
Note that we NEVER cover music, theater, food or other non-related visual art events.
NOTE: Postings are maintained as a courtesy to the requester. East City Art Media LLC is under no obligation to post any art opening, class or other event.
Policy on Ticketed Events, Calls for Entry & Classes
Note—we will NOT publish information about a ticketed event, workshop or call for entry which costs over $10 unless it is accompanied by an ad buy or a media partnership with East City Art. Contact editor [at] eastcityart.com for more information.
W H A T T O S E N D U S
We receive a significant number of weekly correspondences requesting publication. To be considered for publication we ask for the following:
- That your topic be visual arts related
- A press release formatted in Word or Text (something we can copy and paste)
- Two photos related to your subject matter in low res format which includes a description of the photo and attribution (photo credit information). Photos for online publication should be at least 600 pixels wide.
- Be sent in a timely manner (see below)
T I M I N G
– We request that you send us your press release two (2) weeks in advance.
– Anything received after the Monday that the event takes place will not be published that week and will not be included in the roundup or newsletter. We may opt to include the event as “on view” in our “Openings and Events” section the following week.
– Our newsletters go out every Thursday with the exception of holiday weekends and the last two weeks of August.
PLEASE DO NOT SEND US FLYERS OR BANNERS. WE WILL NOT PUBLISH THEM. (See above for formatting)