Deadline: July 31, 2015
Click here to download as a PDF.
Brentwood Arts Exchange is seeking proposals from artists and curators to present exhibitions beginning summer 2016. Solo and group exhibitions are welcome. They support art in all media and forms.
This call is open to all artists and curators who are 18 years of age or older. There are no restrictions on media or residency.
ABOUT THE BRENTWOOD ARTS EXCHANGE
The Brentwood Arts Exchange is The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission’s component of the public-private partnership Gateway Arts Center, serving as an anchor for Prince George’s County Gateway Arts District. Dedicated to presenting and promoting the visual arts, the Brentwood Arts Exchange features a contemporary art gallery displaying diverse exhibitions, a Craft Store promoting local artisans, and a dynamic arts learning space.
As of June 2015, the gallery has presented 33 on-site and 19 off-site exhibitions, featuring regionally prominent artists as well as emerging artists and students.It is a place for people of all ages to meet and learn about art, purchase locally made crafts, and explore new creative talents.
The art gallery is approximately 2,500 sq. ft. with 1,800 sq. ft. of exhibition space on an open floor plan. It features 14 ft. high ceilings, LED track lighting, three ceiling-mounted projectors, acoustic baffling, and pristine white walls. The gallery is staffed by an attendant during all operating hours.
Each proposal should include:
- An artist/curatorial statement that is no longer than one page.
- A résumé or Curriculum Vitae
- CD/DVD/USB drive containing 15-20 images of work samples; OR 3-5 segments of audio and/or video, each no longer than five minutes in duration; OR an appropriate combination of images, video, audio and web-based work.
- A list of works/images that includes titles, media, size, and dates created.
- An SASE for the return of materials. Materials will not be returned unless an SASE with adequate postage is provided.
MAILING ADDRESS FOR SUBMISSIONS
Brentwood Arts Exchange
3901 Rhode Island Avenue
Brentwood, MD 20722
GUIDELINES FOR DIGITAL FILES
Effort will be made to review all submissions, regardless of format. However, please be aware that unreadable files may cause submissions to be rejected. This is their advice:
- Image files should be formatted as jpeg, or tiff.
- Video and audio files should be submitted as a DVD, or on a CD and formatted to be playable on Windows Media Player.
- Name each file consistently so that it is easy to match with the image/artwork list
- Web-based work may be submitted as a URL listed in the work sample list. Web-based art is work of a nature such that it’s only appropriate manifestation is online. A portfolio website that features audio/video art and/or still images is not web-based art.
Proposals will be reviewed by the Brentwood Arts Exchange staff. Exhibitions will be scheduled based on the goal of presenting diverse exhibitions of artwork of the highest quality and of engaging a broad range of audiences.
The Brentwood Arts Exchange provides full publicity for all exhibitions, including press releases, email announcements, printed cards, online and printed listings, and corollary events.
SHIPPING & INSTALLATION
When possible, the Brentwood Arts Exchange will provide transportation for artwork only within the Washington, DC region. We do not generally pay for shipping. Exhibitions will be installed and dismantled by M-NCPPC staff unless the nature of the work requires special assistance.
SALES & INSURANCE
The M-NCPPC will retain a 25% commission on all art works sold during or as a result of the exhibition. The M-NCPPC insures all consigned artworks while they are in the custody of the Gateway Arts Center.
If you have any questions or would like additional information, please contact:
Phil Davis, Acting Director, Brentwood Arts Exchange