Submissions will close on January 17, 2015, 11:59 pm.
Open to artists 13–18 years of age who are residents of Maryland, Virginia, or the District of Columbia. Participants may attend public, private, or home school. Submitted artwork not have previously been exhibited at Montpelier Arts Center.
There is no entry fee for this competition.
- All submissions must be entered through montpelierartscenter.submittable.com, along with a completed entry form.
- Digital images must be submitted in JPEG format, at a minimum 300 ppi resolution and 8˝x10˝. Files must be labeled: “LastName-FirstName-Title of Work”.
- Submissions will close on January 17, 2015, 11:59 pm.
- Each student may enter one (1) piece of artwork.
- All media will be considered, however, due to space considerations, artwork must be displayed on the wall. Work must not exceed 36 inches in any direction, and preferably weighs under 30 lbs.
Awards will be announced at the opening reception on Saturday, March 7, 2015. Awards will be given for First Place ($200), Second Place ($150), and Third Place ($100).
Media and Size
Due to space considerations, installation art, performance art, and video are not eligible at this time. Work using materials that are hazardous to the health and safety of the public will be disqualified. Work must not exceed 36 inches in any direction, and preferably weighs under 30 lbs.
Artwork Drop Off
If selected, artwork must be delivered in person to Montpelier Arts Center from February 26 to March 1, 2015, 10 am–5 pm, with the Drop Off/Pick Up Release Form completed and signed. Artists are solely responsible for transporting work to and from the Arts Center.
All artwork must be properly prepared for exhibition in a gallery. Artwork must be appropriately matted, framed, and wired for hanging. Works on canvas do not need to be framed, but should be properly wired and sides should be clear of staples. Wall-mounted sculpture should be in a shadowbox frame or equivalent. Any work using materials that are hazardous to the health and safety of the public will not be hung. Unstable frames or clips are not permitted, and work that is not gallery-ready will not be hung. Outside dimensions must not exceed 36 inches in any direction. All work will remain in the exhibition at Montpelier Arts Center for the entire duration of the show.
Artwork Pick Up
Any artwork not sold can be retrieved from Montpelier Arts Center between Monday, March 30, 2015 and Saturday, April 4, 2015, 10 am – 8 pm. Artwork not retrieved by 8 pm on December 1, 2014 is subject to a late fee of $5 per day that it is stored at Montpelier Arts Center. Work may be discarded at the discretion of Montpelier staff if not picked up within 30 days of the official pick up date.
Sales and Insurance
The Maryland-National Capital Park & Planning Commission (M-NCPPC) will retain 25% commission on all artwork sold during, or as a result of, the exhibition. The M-NCPPC will insure all consigned artwork in the custody of Montpelier Arts Center from official delivery dates to pick up dates only. Montpelier will not be responsible for any loss or damage of any artwork outside of official delivery and pick up dates. Submission of artwork to the Artists on the Rise exhibition indicates agreement with the stated conditions.
- Submission Deadline: Saturday, January 17, 2015
- Notification of Results: Thursday, January 29, 2015
- Drop Off Artwork: February 26-March 1, 2015, 10 am-5 pm
- Exhibition Dates: March 7-29, 2015, 10 am-5 pm
- Reception + Awards Ceremony: Saturday, March 7, 2015, 1-3 pm
- Pick Up Artwork: March 30-April 4, 2015, 10 am-5 pm
To submit your work visit https://montpelierartscenter.submittable.com/submit. For questions or more information, please contact the Montpelier Arts Center by phone at 301-377-7800 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.