Deadline: December 1, 2022
DESCRIPTION AND SCOPE
RIO, Montgomery County’s premier lifestyle center, is inviting artists, art teams, graphic designers, and interested parties (hereafter referred to as “artist”) to submit their qualifications for a project consisting of design and execution of approximately 80’-15’ mural on 21 Grand Corner Avenue on the north wall of Barnes&Noble. We are open to all styles of art but books and reading should be the mural’s inspiration.
RIO will select one artist based on the artist’s qualifications. Following selection, artist will prepare 2-3 concepts via a hand -drawn full color images or computer-rendered images. We will select one and assist with execution e.g. street closing, preparing wall for paint. Artwork will remain installed for an undetermined period of time but likely for 10 years. If touch up repaint is needed, the artist may be contacted for the possibility of an additional contract for art repair. The RIO also reserves the right to repair and or remove the artwork at any time.
Design an aesthetically pleasing and eye-catching mural to enliven the built environment.
- Design an aesthetically pleasing and eye-catching mural to enliven the built environment.
- Celebrate the joy of reading.
- RFQ posted: November 8, 2022
- Qualifications Due: December 1, 2022
- Final Artist Selection December 15, 2022
- Concepts Presented January 15, 2023
- Design Selected February 1, 2023
- Preparation of wall March 2023
- Mural Completed April 2023
- Celebration May 2023
PROJECT LOCATION AND IMAGES
The total budget for this project is $30,000 which is inclusive of design/artist’s fees, installation labor, related soft costs, materials and other expenses required to complete this project. This will be payable in thirds based on an agreed upon schedule between RIO and the artist at time of contract signing.
QUALIFICATIONS TO BE SUBMITTED
- Information about the artist or artist team (up to 250 words)
- Statement regarding why this work is appealing
- Up to five (5) previous work examples with brief description
- Three (3) professional references.
Submit qualification materials in a single PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org up to 15MB by 11:59 pm (EDT) on date specified. The subject line should read: Mural Artist Qualifications
- Interest in the proposed project
- Ability to meet design and installation schedule
- Work compositions showing artistic excellence through quality, aesthetic sense, innovation and creativity.
- Experience creating murals of similar scale.
- Demonstrated ability to follow through and complete contracted work in a professional manner
- RIO reserves the right to change the term of this RFP or cancel the RFP at any time.
- All materials submitted to RIO through this RFP shall become the sole property of RIO.
- Any artwork installed shall become the property of RIO and we may remove it at any time.
- RIO has the right to photograph the artwork and use for internal purposes and for external marketing.
- Final Approval by the City of Gaithersburg Department of Parks, Recreation and Culture may require an in-person presentation by the artist to answer additional questions the jurisdiction may have. Please see attached sample “Private Development Mural Proposal Form” for more information on this part of the process.
For additional information or questions, please contact Dan Figueroa at email@example.com or call 301-203-4173