Application Deadline: April 15, 2015, midnight
Studio Artist Program
VisArts’ Studio Artist program is designed to provide artists working in a variety of media with studio space in a 25,000 square foot facility with an art-rich environment that encourages interaction, dialogue and exploration both within the VisArts artist community and the larger community as well. Studio artists, the artists who are selected each year for a four-month residency as a Bresler Artist in Residence, visiting and exhibiting artists are all important members of the VisArts community. Studio Artists will be given the opportunity to participate in an annual group exhibition, conduct workshops and facilitate discussions during their term. VisArts is eco-friendly and seeks artists who are committed to using materials that are not harmful to the environment.
Qualified applicants should be professional artists over the age of 18. The program is not designed for current students or commercial artists. Collaborative teams may apply for a studio.
Applicants must be committed to using a studio primarily for art-making activities. Teaching of private students in the artist studios is not prohibited however it may not constitute the primary activity of the artist.
Studio Artists are required to work at least 28 hours per week in their studios with
15 hours coinciding with the VisArts gallery hours.
Studio Artists are expected to support VisArts galleries and mission by:
- Participating regularly in studio artist pot-lucks and “critique sessions;”
- Opening their studios during the ten gallery opening receptions scheduled each year and during the VisArts’ annual open studio day; and,
- Initiating community outreach programs that include other studio artists and the greater Rockville community. These activities can range from preparing and executing a group exhibition or performance, conducting free workshops or working with local schools or other non-profit organizations.
Studio Artists are responsible for the acquisition, insurance and care of their materials and equipment. While VisArts carries liability and business insurance this insurance does not cover any materials, equipment or artwork in the artist studios.
Application and Selection Process
All application materials can be found on the VisArts website at http://www.visartsatrockville.org/call-for-entries/resident-artist-application
The preferred means of submitting applications is online, however they may also be mailed or hand delivered.
- Online: Complete the online application and submit all required documents on the VisArts website. http://visarts.submittable.com/submit/39490
- By mail: Complete and print out the application form and mail all required application materials to VisArts Exhibitions Department, 155 Gibbs Street, Suite 300, Rockville, MD 20850. Images must be on a DVD or CD. If you would like your DVD or CD of images returned, please include a self-addressed, stamped envelope. (click here to download application materials for mail or hand delivery)
- In person: Hand deliver the application form and all required application materials to VisArts,155 Gibbs Street, Suite 300, Rockville MD 20850 (Administrative office hours – Monday – Saturday 9am – 5pm
All applications will be reviewed by a panel of artists and arts professionals.
For more information and to apply visit http://www.visartsatrockville.org/call-for-entries/call-for-studio-artist-applications