Deadline: January 10, 2019
This residency provides an opportunity for an artist to execute a new body of work, evolve an existing body of work, or develop a project in the CHAW Darkroom space. The residency offers up to twelve weeks of time and space to an artist or team of artists to experiment and realize new work in our darkroom space. The selected resident(s) will be expected to begin work in February 2019.
The darkroom has six Beseler condenser enlargers and the necessary chemistry to print silver gelatin photographs. The room will support some alternative chemistry processes as well, though the Resident Artist would need to provide their own chemistry for anything other than a traditional black and white process. Residents will also have access to the large format digital printing facilities, which include an Epson 7890.
Qualified applicants are professional individual artists or collaborative artist teams over the age of 18; the program is not designed for undergraduate students or commercial artists. Artists must be available to work in the CHAW darkroom during the length of the residency. CHAW will not provide housing for Darkroom Resident artists.
Artists working in all media are welcome to apply, but we require proposed projects to include a darkroom specific practice.
- Images: Submit 10 images of work produced during the last three years.
- For collaborative teams, 10 images of collaborative work are required as well as a statement of the collaborative nature of the work.
- Image Requirements: 10 images of work are required. They must be in .jpg file format. Longest side must be 1200 pixels or greater.. Maximum file size 2MB per image. Files must be labeled in the following way: last name_title of artwork_1.jpg, last name_title of artwork_2.jpg, etc. The file number corresponds with the number on the list of works. (Ex. Jones_Untitled_1.jpg)
- List of Works Form: Numbered list of artworks with the following information: artist name, title of artwork, medium, dimensions.
- One document containing the following information, in the following order (max 1000 words in total) :
- Brief Artist Bio (100 words max.)
- Artist Statement (100 words max.)
- Residency proposal:
Describe your project, goals for the residency, and how you plan to use the darkroom resources. (750 words max.)
After reviewing all the applications, artists or artist teams will be interviewed at CHAW by the Resident Manager and the Director of CHAW.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.