Application Deadline: Friday, May 10, 2013
REQUEST FOR QUALIFICATIONS
The DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities (DCCAH) in collaboration with the DC Department of Public Works (DPW) seeks graffiti artists and artist teams to design, create, and install aerosol murals that inspire the various communities in which they will be placed. Selected artists will be required to work with the young apprentices (ages 14-23) by introducing and refining each student’s artistic skill in the discipline of graffiti style sketch work and aerosol mural painting.
MuralsDC was created to replace illegal graffiti with artistic works, to revitalize sites within communities in the District of Columbia, and to teach young people the art of aerosol painting. This initiative aims to positively engage the District’s youth by teaching proper professional art techniques, providing supplies, and a legal means to practice and perform their artistic skill in a way that promotes respect for public and private property and community awareness.
The three platforms on which the MuralsDC project is based are:
- Illegal Graffiti Abatement
- Youth Outreach
- Community Revitalization
There are currently 41 MuralsDC projects across the District. Each mural tells a unique story of DC’s diverse neighborhoods while deterring further illegal graffiti.
This commission is open to Graffiti and Aerosol Mural Art Artists and Artist Teams.
All Artists must:
- Be 18 years of age or older.
- Have Graffiti and or Aerosol Mural Art experience.
- Be a practicing professional.
- Be in good standing with the MuralsDC program.
*Preference will be given to District of Columbia Artists.
BUDGET & PAYMENTS
Depending on site dimensions, the total budget for each mural will range from $3,000 to $13,500.
- The mural budget must include all artist fees and costs associated with design, fabrication, travel, transportation to the site, insurance, permits, installation, graffiti protective coating, working with young people, and documentation of the artwork.
- The overall project budget includes the artist’s design fees, compensation and travel expenses, all materials and fabrication costs, shipping and transportation of materials to the site, preparation of mural site, installation of the artwork, application of protective coating, and any applicable taxes and/or insurance.
- Payments will be made directly to Final Artists. Principals and fiscal agents of any kind are prohibited.
Funds under this program may not be used to fund colleges, universities, or other government agencies.
TENTATIVE PROJECT SCHEDULE
- Application Deadline: May 10, 2013
- Application Review and Selection of Final Artists: Mid May 2013
- Site Assignments: Mid – Late May 2013
- Mural Concept Designs Begin: Early- Mid June 2013
- Final Approval of Mural Designs: Early-Mid July 2013
- Installation of Artwork: Summer/Fall 2013
- Program Dedication / Culminating Event: Summer/Fall 2013
APPLICATION DEADLINE : Friday, May 10, 2013
All materials must be received no later than 5:00 PM.
This is not a postmark deadline. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered
To obtain a copy of the prospectus and application, please visit https://dcarts.dc.gov/
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Call 202-724-5613 or email Keona.Pearson@dc.gov