Deadline: May 12, 2019 by Midnight.
Art in Meditation – The Chakras will celebrate the seven energy centers of the body, or chakras, and the associated meanings, moods, and colors (see chart of the chakras). The curators are seeking artwork interpretations of the chakra energies.
The exhibit will be juried by contemporary artist Jeff Erickson.
About the juror: Jeff Erickson is an abstract artist, based in Alexandria, Virginia. He uses oils and cold wax medium to create contemporary paintings anchored in nature.
He exhibits in galleries primarily on the East Coast, and his work can be seen locally at Principle Gallery in Alexandria.
The exhibit includes an Art-To-Go marketplace which will operate during gallery hours and for Del Ray’s First Thursday celebration on Thursday, June 6, 2019 and Well Ray event on Saturday, June 22, 2019. An opening reception will be held on Friday, June 7, 2019 and a summer solstice reception Friday, June 21, 2019. In addition, several workshops are being planned. Details will be posted on the art exhibit page as they become available.
Entry to this exhibit is by online submission. Art may be two- or three-dimensional, and in any medium. No strict size limits, but please be considerate of other artists and the physical limits of the gallery before entering oversized pieces. Oversized pieces of merit will be accepted if space permits. Art should be ready to hang or display with wire and screw eyes, mounting and/or display stand, framed, matted, or with edges finished. We cannot show work that is not ready for exhibition. Example of a professionally framed artwork with flat screw eyes and wire:
If your artwork hanging system varies greatly from this example, contact the curators. See DelRayArtisans.org/exhibits/art-guidelines for additional details.
Contact the curators if you have questions or would like to volunteer for receiving activities.
- Open to all area artists.
- Artists may submit up to three (3) pieces of artwork or one seven (7) piece chakra installation to be sold as a set [Note: due to space limitations, only a limited number (up to 7) of 7-piece chakra installations will be accepted].
- The entry fee for Del Ray Artisans members is $5 per piece or $15 for a 7-piece chakra installation; the fee for non-members is $10 per piece or $30 for a 7-piece chakra installation.
- Deadline for online submission of your art is midnight on May 12, 2019.
- Entry fees are due upon submission and are non-refundable – pay with cash, check, or credit card at the gallery or by credit card online at: com/market/del-ray-artisans/…..(Gallery assistant will fill in)
- You must provide one photo for each artwork or for your 7-piece chakra installation. Acceptable file types are: pdf, jpg, jpeg, png, and gif; up to 5MB in file size. Smart phone photos are acceptable. You may also choose to provide one additional photograph per artwork (not required). You must name your files as follows: “YourLastName-FirstName-Entry1,” “YourLastName-FirstName-Entry2”, etc. If you provide a second photo for an artwork, add a “b” to the end – e.g. “YourLastName-FirstName-Entry1b”.
- Final acceptance for this exhibit will be at the curators’ discretion upon physically viewing accepted artwork at Artwork Receiving.
- All artwork must be for sale. They will not accept pieces marked “NFS.”
This exhibit will have an associated “Art-To-Go” marketplace opportunity.
Art-To-Go Marketplace Details
- Only artists with one or more entries accepted into the main exhibit are eligible to submit Art-To-Go entries.
- Art-To-Go entries will be reviewed and accepted during Artwork Receiving on Sunday, June 2, 2019 from 6-8pm and Monday, June 3, 2019 from 6-8pm.
- Art-To-Go entry fees are $2 per piece.
- There is a maximum of ten (10) Art-To-Go items per artist.
- Bin art/matting should be 18”x24” or less to fit safely into our print racks. Smaller bin submissions must be attached to a foam core at least 8”x10”.
- 3D Marketplace entries must be small (no larger than 8”x10”x8”)
- They will provide a separate entry form for Art-To-Go entries and fees are payable when the art is delivered at Artwork Receiving. You may pay Art-To-Go entries in advance online if you wish.
Important note: Art-to-Go entries in this exhibit may be moved to a tent outside the gallery during Del Ray’s First Thursday celebration (June 6) and Well Ray event (June 22). By entering Art-to-Go pieces in this exhibit, you accept that your Art-to-Go entries may be featured in these special events outside the gallery. Terms and Conditions at the bottom of this Entry Form apply.
Accepted Artist Requirements
- When art sells, each artist is asked to make a 20% tax-deductible donation to Del Ray Artisans.
- Del Ray Artisans and the City of Alexandria cannot be held liable for any loss or damage to artwork at any time. Insurance for artwork is the sole responsibility of the artist.
- Permission to reproduce any artwork for Del Ray Artisans publicity and archival purposes is automatically granted by the artist as a requisite for entering the show. Anyone not agreeing must contact the Curating Director at Curating@DelRayArtisans.org
- Work previously shown at Del Ray Artisans gallery is not eligible.
- All art entered must be original: No reproductions. Contact the curator for more information.
- All artists participating in this exhibit are required to volunteer a minimum of 3 hours towards managing the show. Those hours can be filled by gallery hosting during the month of exhibit, assisting with show hanging or take down, and volunteering to help during reception or for other show specific activities as needed by the curator.
- All taxes, including sales taxes upon sale of artwork, are the responsibility of the artist.
- Unsold artwork pickup is on Sunday, June 30, 2019 from 6-8pm. No early pickup. All art must remain the entire length of the show unless sold in a “cash and carry” show or arrangements have been made in advance with the curator and Curating Director.
- Del Ray Artisans cannot be held responsible for any artwork left after pickup deadline. The gallery has limited space and artwork could get lost, misplaced, or damaged. Any art left over 30 days after the close of the show will become the property of Del Ray Artisans.
- Deadline for Digital Submissions and Entry Fee Due: May 12, 2019.
- Artists will be notified of artwork acceptance by May 20, 2019.
- Artwork Receiving for accepted exhibit artwork and Art-To-Go submissions will be on Sunday, June 2 from 6-8pm and on Monday, June 3, 2019 from 6-8pm, at Del Ray Artisans gallery, 2704 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22301.
- First Thursday at the Gallery is on Thursday, June 6 from 6-9pm
- The Opening Reception is on Friday, June 7 from 7-9pm
- Summer Solstice Reception is on Friday, June 21 from 7-9pm
- Well Ray neighborhood event on Saturday, June 22 from 9am-1pm
- The exhibit runs June 6–30, 2019
- Unsold artwork pickup is on Sunday, June 30, 2019 from 6-8pm.