Deadline: Monday, November 4 by 11:59 EST
Transforming Three Alleys for One Year:
A design competition and installation, unchARTed is sponsored by Downtown Frederick Partnership in cooperation with the Potomac Valley Architecture Foundation, AIA Potomac Valley and the Frederick Arts Council.
The competition will result in spatial installations in specific alleys that will better link the urban fabric of the downtown together. The alleys are dynamic places of movement, rather than focal points. They create the opportunity to knit together Downtown Frederick from within. As a result, this design competition is focused on the following goals: attract locals and visitors to Downtown Frederick, activate the sometimes-forgotten between spaces in Downtown Frederick and create stimulating interactive experiences that are memorable.
The unchARTed competition is free to enter and open to everyone. Visit downtownfrederick.org/uncharted for complete competition details, rules, and to make a submission. Submissions are due by 11:59 EST on Monday, November 4, 2019 and are only accepted in digital format through the entry form linked on the official unchARTed website.
About Downtown Frederick:
Downtown Frederick Partnership is a historic preservation based, economic development nonprofit that works to enhance, promote and preserve the vitality and livability of Downtown Frederick, a national Main Street community. Downtown Frederick is a dynamic and vibrant home to more than 200 retailers/restaurants, a robust arts community and beautiful historic architecture. As a whole, Frederick County welcomes more than 1.4 million visitors each year, the majority of whom spend some time in Downtown Frederick. The downtown also is home to about 7,000 residents.
The Competition in Brief:
- Participation in the competition is free and open to everyone. All are encouraged to submit their ideas for design installations in pre-identified Downtown Frederick alleys. The locations of these alleys can be viewed online at downtownfrederick.org/unchARTed-Alley-Map.
- Entrants are asked to design a spatial installation that can be used for public events and activities. The design must be safe for general public use and be able to function unattended. The design must be able to be constructed within a seven day time frame. Entrants can pre-fabricate a portion of the installation off-site prior to the seven day time frame.
- The winning entrants will build their entries using the prize money. The winning installations will be in place for one year, during which time they will serve as the site of various public events and community activities. unchARTed also will be the focus of significant publicity efforts.
- The design installation proposal should activate alleyway spaces in Downtown Frederick, create interactive experiences that are memorable and create stronger connections within Downtown Frederick. Entrants need to consider their ability to construct the project. The Partnership will grant up to three awards of $10,000 each. Selection will focus on design installations that have a high level of design quality, relate to the specific site and best meet the design criteria.
- Questions? Email email@example.com
Visit the official unchARTed website at downtownfrederick.org/uncharted for complete submission details and to find the online submission form. unchARTed will accept digital submission only. No hard copies will be accepted. Submissions must be uploaded by Monday, November 4, 2019 (11:59 EST).