Bethesda area arts organization seeks a full-time Events & Venue Assistant Manager. The ideal candidate will have an interest in event management and venue operations, is self driven, a team player and can work evenings and weekends as event needs dictate. This position is responsible for assisting with the management of Park events, venue operations, scheduling event staff, and coordinating with renters/partners and vendors during Park events. Park rental facilities include the historic Spanish Ballroom, Ballroom Backroom, historic former Bumper Car Pavilion, multipurpose classrooms, and other Park venues. This position requires the candidate to have a flexible work schedule and be present onsite in-person for work in the office and at events.
The Glen Echo Park Partnership for Arts and Culture is the nonprofit organization that operates the arts programs and facilities at Glen Echo Park, a National Park located in Montgomery County. Glen Echo Park is a community of artists, educators, dancers and performers who share their knowledge and expertise with participants and audiences of all ages and skill levels. The Partnership is dedicated to encouraging public participation in all that the Park has to offer.
Reports to: Events & Venue Manager
Location: Glen Echo Park, 7300 MacArthur Blvd, Glen Echo, MD 20812
Duties and Responsibilities:
Event Operations and Staffing
- Work with Events & Venue Manager to train, manage and schedule hall managers. Follow up on hall manager event reports by creating work orders or resolving issues.
- Fulfill position of hall manager two evenings per week, generally Thursday and Saturday evenings (may vary depending on events schedule). Additional day or evening hall managing may also be required for events.
- Ensure adherence to all rules and regulations at events and dances.
- Fulfill basic marketing and administration tasks for dance and rental events, such as updating event calendars, websites, data entry, filing, etc.
- Be available by phone as a backup to Events & Venue Manager after hours to troubleshoot any venue related issues.
Venue Booking and Management
- Work with the Program Department and Events & Venue Manager to manage the master calendar for the park’s event facilities and assist with booking venues for dances, events and rentals
- Support the Events & Venue Manager by responding to inquiries (email, phone, in person) for facility rentals in a timely manner or conducting site tours from time to time.
- Manage applications for any rental-related alcohol or event permits.
- Assist the Events & Venue Manager in the scheduling, booking and managing of rental events, particularly related to classroom usage for birthday parties and other small gatherings/meetings.
- Work with Events & Venue Manager and Dance and Events Program Director to communicate with dance presenters regarding event and venue logistics, as needed.
- Send weekly communication of upcoming events with staff, partners and event organizers.
- Work with the Facilities and Maintenance staff and Events and Venue Manager to ensure venues are adequately maintained and prepared for upcoming events, including moving tables, chairs and equipment; walking and inspecting venues; placing work orders; performing light maintenance tasks such as changing light bulbs; preparing for events; and coordinating with the facilities department to ensure all event and classroom facilities are maintained and cleaned appropriately.
- Responsible for maintenance of sound equipment, specialty lighting and venue specific event equipment with appropriate internal or external vendors
Special Event Logistics
- Provide logistical planning support for fundraising and board events
- Support the annual Glen Echo Park Rentals Open House
- Coordinate logistics for and be present for the weekly Summer Concert Series
- Coordinate and manage volunteers for Park events, dances, festivals and assist the facilities department with volunteer work days
- Support planning and work during Park-wide festivals and public events
Other duties as assigned
This may include:
- Assisting with coordination regarding the carousel for events and festivals
- Assisting with front desk duties
The work week for this position is Tuesday though Saturday, with Sunday and Monday as scheduled days off. Hours will be flexible to accommodate events, including two evenings per week. Office hours, when applicable, will be 9:30 am – 6 pm. This position will be required to work weekends and evenings as events and hall managing shifts require, sometimes with short or limited notice, therefore hours will vary but not exceed an average of 40 hours per week. Compensatory time will be given in the same month for event time worked.
Salary and Benefits:
This role is a permanent full-time position and exempt from overtime. Salary range is $37,000 – $42,000 and commensurate with experience. Benefits include:
- 2 weeks paid vacation annually, increases after 12 months employment
- 11 paid holidays annually
- 7.5 paid sick/personal days annually
- 401(k) available after 12 months employment
- Health plan offered after 3 months employment
- Long-term disability plan
- A minimum of two (2) years prior event or venue management and customer service experience
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Proven organizational, written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of event planning, venue management, and experience working with customers and vendors
- Strong time management skills and ability to work independently
- Superb customer service skills and ability to positively represent the Partnership at events and with clients and vendors
- Ability to exercise sound professional judgement and maintain positive relationships with colleagues, clients, partners and vendors
- A positive “can do” attitude and a team player
- Ability to have a flexible schedule for events, as needed, including working evenings and weekends
- Strong computer skills and proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite, email and internet use
- Must be able to speak and understand English fluently
Physical and Other Requirements:
- The work includes a variety of tasks, which are generally physical in nature, sometimes requiring handling equipment and material in excess of 40 lbs.
- Applicant must have own reliable transportation since public transportation to Glen Echo Park is not readily available after hours.
- Must be able to walk or stand on your feet up to 90% of the event while working in a multi-facility environment with extensive park grounds and a variety of facilities both historic and renovated. Many of the buildings have stairs.
- Must be able to climb ladders and move equipment such as folding chairs and tables.
- Some knowledge of maintenance of specialty lights and sound equipment preferred but not required.
- Current COVID-19 vaccination required. Onsite staff must adhere to CDC and state health guidelines and protocols.
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Events & Venue Assistant Manager” in the subject line. By mail, send to: GEPPAC, 7300 MacArthur Blvd., Glen Echo, MD 20812. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered. EOE. No phone calls please.