Deadline: June 12, 2020
The Glen Echo Park Partnership for Arts and Culture requests proposals from individuals, groups of artists or curators to present exhibitions in the Popcorn Gallery, Stone Tower Gallery and Park View Gallery venues at Glen Echo Park for the calendar year 2021.
About the Galleries
The mission of the Popcorn Gallery is to showcase the work of established visual artists, including resident artists at Glen Echo Park and artists from the greater Washington, DC area. Popcorn Gallery exhibitions attract visitors from across the region and bring new audiences to Glen Echo Park. This gallery is best suited for group exhibitions, mixed media exhibitions or occasional solo exhibitions of an established artist.
The mission of the Stone Tower Gallery is to present intimate exhibitions of work in the Park’s most historic structure. This gallery is a welcoming space for visitors and is well suited to solo or themed exhibitions featuring a small group of artists.
The purpose of the Park View Gallery is to present the work of community organizations, emerging visual artists, including instructors and advanced students at Glen Echo Park.
All three galleries serve the artists and the public in connecting patrons to high quality artwork, and generate revenue for both the artists and the Partnership. See Attachment A for gallery descriptions and images. Please note: If you have exhibited work in a solo exhibition in one of these galleries within the current or previous calendar year (2019 or 2020), you are not eligible for consideration for solo exhibition in 2021, but may participate in a group exhibition.
In submitting a proposal, the artist or group should be aware of these general terms. Selected artists will sign an exhibition agreement with details outlined and complete a W9 form. A copy of this agreement is available upon request.
- Solicit and select works for display and coordinate with participating artists, in accordance with the approved exhibition content.
- Publicize the exhibition to their niche market and networks.
- Provide the Partnership with an exhibition description and images for use in publicity, and a detailed inventory list for sales purposes.
- Manage drop off and pick-up of work by participating artists, installation and take down of exhibition, including properly lighting artwork, labeling, displaying artist information and wall signage.
- Assist in the presentation of an opening and/or closing reception; Artist talks encouraged.
- The artist/organization may choose to insure artwork against theft, loss or damage above minimum levels provided by the Partnership.
The Partnership will:
- Provide exhibition space and installation materials including pedestals, rolling panels and basic hanging supplies.
- Publicize the exhibition through the Glen Echo Park website calendar, monthly press release, exhibition e-blast emails and social media.
- Provide display materials at the time of exhibition installation to include labels for artwork and price list of inventoried art for gallery visitors.
- Manage ordering vinyl wall lettering through a local sign vendor.
- Provide postcard design and printing.
- Provide gallery staffing for open public hours, special events, and opening reception hours. Popcorn Gallery and Stone Tower Gallery public hours are: Saturdays & Sundays, noon – 6pm (January – April, October – December), 11am – 6pm (May – September); Park View Gallery public hours are: Mondays through Saturdays, 10am – 6pm.
- Process all art sales, including collecting Maryland sales tax.
- Issue payment for sales: 70% to individual artists with 30% commission retained by the Partnership.
- Provide secured gallery facilities, protected by an alarm system.
- Exhibitions will last a minimum of four weeks and maximum of six weeks, and generally change on a monthly basis.
- Exhibitions open on a Friday during Art Walk season (May – September) and on a Saturday the remainder of the year.
- Set up for an exhibition occurs on the Tuesday – Friday prior to a Saturday opening. Exhibitions must be de-installed on the Monday following the final Sunday of the exhibition.
- Available dates for 2021:
- January 9 – February 21, 2021 (6 wks)
- February 27 – March 21, 2021 (4 wks)
- March 27 – May 2 (5 wks)
- May 7 – 30, 2021 (4wks)
- June 4 – 27, 2021 (4wks)
- July 2 – August 1, 2021 (5 wks)
- August 6 – 29, 2021 (4 wks)
- September 3 – October 3, 2021 (5 wks)
- October 9 – November 14, 2021 (6 wks)
- November 20, 2021 – January 9, 2022 (7wks) (Park View Gallery only available)
- Applicants will be asked to select their top choice of dates and alternate dates available.
- All galleries participate in Glen Echo Park’s Art Walk which takes place on the first Friday of May – September. Art Walk program coincides with the opening receptions for exhibitions. Exhibition opening receptions outside of Art Walk months will be coordinated on the first Saturday of the exhibition, in conjunction with other Partnership and Park galleries.
Artists or groups of artists must submit an online proposal via Jotform including the following
- Artist Contact. Name of artist or group and contact information (address, phone, email, website)
- Exhibition content details including:
- Proposed title of exhibition
- Description of exhibition content, including type and scope of work to be presented
- Approximate number of pieces on display
- Approximate range of artwork prices
- Names of artists involved, or where they will be selected from and how selection will occur
- Exhibition location. Exhibitions may take place in the Popcorn Gallery, Stone Tower Gallery or Park View Gallery. Please include your location preference and alternates.
- Proposed exhibition dates. Please select first choice exhibition dates and at least two alternate sets of dates.
- Special exhibition needs. Please list if you will require exhibition supplies beyond what is provided by the Partnership, and if permitted, how you will prepare for these needs.
- Exhibition goals. Explain how this exhibition is suited for Glen Echo Park, how it meets the goals of the specific gallery requested, and what the artist’s goals are in mounting this exhibition.
- Artist background information. Please include artist(s) biographies, if available, or list of previous exhibitions. Artist websites may be substituted for this information, if they include background details.
- Sample of work. Please provide any website resources for examples of artist work similar to what would be on display, or attach up to ten digital images of work including title, medium and dimensions.
Proposals for 2021 dates must be submitted to the Partnership by June 12, 2020.
Please submit the proposal through our online form at glenechopark.org/galleryRFP or by email to; email@example.com
Questions may be directed to Tomora Wright, Visual Arts Exhibition Manager, using the email address above.
An exhibition panel will review proposals, and Partnership staff will contact artists regarding their proposals by July 31, 2020