Deadline: April 8, 2020 by 5pm EST
What is the Halcyon Arts Lab Fellowship?
At the intersection of art and social change, this five-month residential fellowship is designed to provide support and resources to emerging artists working on projects which address issues of social justice, civic engagement, and community building. Arts Lab fellows strive to expand their practices and grow as leaders in their respective fields.
Adapting the well-honed methodology of the Halcyon model, Halcyon Arts Lab fosters creativity through a supportive environment of space, access, and community. The program accepts six national and international fellows in each cohort.
Cohort 4- Fall 2020- Fellowship Dates: September 1, 2020 – February 14, 2021
Location: Halcyon Arts Lab, 1801 35th Street NW, Washington DC 20007
Who should apply?
Emerging artists who are interested in further investigating a socially engaged practice and creating lasting connections and partnerships in Washington, DC.
Halcyon defines emerging artists as an early career artist has demonstrated promising artistic development and demonstrates dedication to their practices but is at a pivotal point in their career where they could benefit from further training and support.
Halcyon Arts Lab Fellows should be:
- Self-directed and able to work independently but will benefit from the program elements including workshops, networking, and training to further develop their careers.
- Interested in creating new work, growing as leaders, and expanding their practices.
- Open to group collaboration, including critiques and developing programming with their fellow artists in residence and community members.
- Interested in being a part of and contributing to the wider Halcyon community, including fostering relationships with fellow entrepreneurs in residence in our sister program, Halcyon Incubator.
- Interested in expanding the social impact of their projects and creating work that demonstrates critical inquiry into social issues, and actively engages groups and communities, placing collaborative project outcomes at the heart of the creative process.
Halcyon is looking for artists that abide by our core values. This means we seek fellows who are:
- Risk tolerant
Eligibility & Program Requirements
In addition to meeting Halcyon’s definition of socially engaged and emerging artist, all applicants must:
- Be a full-time artist
- Be 21 years of age or over and not enrolled in alternate full-time education at the start of the fellowship
- Complete the application form online by 5pm EST, April 8, 2020
- Attend mandatory Orientation and Kick-off event
- Participate in presentation opportunities and public programming
- Participate in civic engagement and volunteer events set up by Halcyon
- Commit to using on-site facilities and studios for a minimum of 25 hours a week
- Commit to 5 hours of weekly programming, skill series, and events
- Have a collaborative nature, sense of humor, and a willingness to work and learn in a condensed creative environment
Travel & Restrictions
Artists must commit to the full length of the residency with no more than 14 days of nonconsecutive travel. Requested travel dates must comply with program requirements including:
- Work-in-Progress Nights
- Open Studios
- Final Presentation
- Skills Series
- Other programs as assigned
Artists must not participate in simultaneous residencies during the Halcyon Fellowship or have full-time employment outside the residency.
When is the deadline?
Applications are due by 5PM EST on April 8, 2020. No exceptions or extensions. Apply before the deadline to avoid technical difficulties.
What is included?
Halcyon Arts Lab Fellows have access to the following:
- Studio space to focus on research, learning, and creative practice
- A competitive financial scholarship to support living and material costs: $5000 Stipend and additional funding available for materials and program expenses
- Five months of off-site residential accommodation
- A program of social impact classes, entrepreneurship training, artist talks, studio visits, civic engagement opportunities, and critiques
- Opportunities for networking and critique from experienced professionals
- Collaboration and networking with fellow artists, social entrepreneurs, and our program partner organizations in Washington, D.C.
- Presentation opportunities and ability to guide and build public programming
Applying to the Halcyon Arts Lab
Applications to the Halcyon Arts Lab Fellowship are evaluated on areas of artistic excellence, impact, and future potential. Halcyon accepts creatives with bold ideas at their early stages of development where time, space, and resources can be most beneficial to create impactful work. The fellowship program is based in Washington, DC at Halcyon Arts Lab, but a fellow’s work can focus regionally, nationally, or internationally. Make sure you check out our selection process and criteria information.
Cohort 4 applicants will be notified by June 1st of the status of their applications.
For questions about the application process, please contact the Halcyon Arts Lab team at firstname.lastname@example.org.