The Gallery Assistant will support the President and Gallery Curator with the daily operations involved in the management of Honfleur Gallery, a contemporary fine art space, by ARCH Development Corporation (ADC) a nonprofit community development organization that has been in Historic Anacostia since 1991.
Tasks will vary from administrative to hands-on projects, including assistance in exhibition installation. In addition to an interest in and knowledge of contemporary art, a qualified candidate will possess excellent communication and writing skills, be well organized, and be computer proficient (Mac). Experience working with various image files, Photoshop, Constant Contact, and Dropbox is a bonus. Experience working in an art gallery is not required. Social media experience with Face Book, Twitter, Instagram necessary.
This is a part-time six-month position with potential for extension beyond six months. Applicants must be available to work Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Schedule flexibility in the weeks leading up to new exhibitions is desired. Incredibly competitive compensation.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Meet and greet customers and clients of Honfleur Gallery; includes gaining a comprehensive understanding of each exhibit, its artists, and the premise for the show
- Maintain a clean environment for visitors (clean desk and door, sweep, etc.)
- Attend public meetings, opening receptions, and special events as scheduled
- Assist with community outreach projects as needed
- Support as needed in all areas of exhibition production
- Assist with mailers, online promotions, and social media
- Assist with updating gallery websites
- Assist with maintaining an inventory of artists, artworks, and customers
- Maintain the galleries’ photo archives through the use of Dropbox
- Assist senior staff with gallery programming
- Assist Assistant Director with installation of exhibitions at Honfleur Gallery
- Honfleur has a sister gallery space in Baltimore. Where help in installing will be needed.
- Assist with other art handling and packing as needed
Send a cover letter and a resume to email@example.com. Attach these materials as PDFs or Word documents to your email. We will field questions not answered by the job description above.