Deadline: Friday, August 25, 2017
Maryland Art Place (MAP), in partnership with The CyberWire is pleased to announce an open ‘Call to Artists’. As an extension of MAP’s annual IMPRINT Project, MAP is working with The CyberWire to offer a unique opportunity to female visual artists of the greater Baltimore metropolitan area. Collectively, MAP and The CyberWire wish to acquire and possibly commission, time permitting, plus license the image of a work of art. The image of that artwork will be reproduced in a limited edition and presented to the guests of The CyberWire’s 4th Annual Women in Cyber Security reception on October 17, 2017.
ABOUT CREATING CONNECTIONS: We live in a time where cyberspace has become inextricably linked to the lives of individuals and organizations of all kinds. Cyberspace is the medium of global commerce and communication, and it is one of the most important factors in the social, political, and technological changes we see occurring today. The CyberWire provides concise and relevant daily briefings on the critical news happening across the global cyber security domain. In an industry overloaded with information, we also help individuals and organizations rapidly find the news and information that’s important to them.
As the aim of The CyberWire’s reception is to facilitate connections among women working in cyber security, and would like to acquire a work of art that reflects the theme of “creating connections.” Inherent in the idea of connections is the idea of networks—social networks, computer networks and support networks—which may be an important point of departure for acquired or commissioned work. This opportunity is open to female artists living and working in the greater Baltimore metropolitan area.
General Guidelines & Information
- MAP only accepts 2-d works for reproduction – photography, painting, mixed media or similar welcomed.
- All works must be no less than 4X4” and no more than 10X10”.
- The reproduction edition will be decided on, and agreed upon at a later date, but will not exceed 250.
- All reproductions will receive a ‘chop or seal’ noting The CyberWire as the publisher.
- All reproductions will be printed on an agreed upon archival fine art paper, expense absorbed by The CyberWire.
- **Artist agrees to not reproduce the selected artwork at the agreed upon dimensions of this project as this will devalue the edition. Likewise, The CyberWire agrees not to reproduce the image after the edition has ended.
- The CyberWire will cover scanning fees/photography associated with the reproduction.
- Artist agrees to use of artwork image for press and promotional purposes related to this project and event.
- Artist will remain owner of image copyright.
- Artist is invited to attend the Women in Cyber Security reception on October 17, 2017.
Benefits to the artist: The selected artist will benefit in the following ways
- $1,000 Cash Award
- Increased visibility of artist’s name and artwork through:
- Press announcements
- Highlighted on MAP and The CyberWire’s websites
- The gifting of artist reproduction to attendees of the Women in Cyber Security reception
- Acknowledgement at Women in Cyber Security reception on October 17, 2017
To apply please see the following application and required attachments: Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org by close of business Friday, August 25, 2017 Application Deadline
Application Fee: $10 for non-MAP members. Submit your fee by clicking on “Get Involved,” “Donate” on MAP’s website and simply adjust the fee to $10.
Please attach your payment receipt to your application.
Checks can be made payable to: Maryland Art Place | c/o Benefit | 218 West Saratoga Street Baltimore, MD 21201
Member of MAP? Your submission fee will be waived. Please make a note on your submission that you are a member.
- July 14: Release Call
- Friday, August 25, 2017 Application Deadline
- Week of September 11, Artist Studio Visits/Interviews
- Week of September 25, Awarded Artist Announced
- October 2 – 14, Printing/Production
- Tuesday, October 17, 2017 Women in Cyber Security Reception
Visit MAP’s website and download the RFP for complete application instructions.