Deadline: Friday, April 14 at midnight
McLean Project for the Arts invites all Mid-Atlantic artists to submit up to four jpegs of paintings or works related in some way to painting for consideration in Strictly Painting 11. A biannual exhibition showcasing the region’s best painting, Strictly Painting 11 is a juried exhibition of contemporary art. Anne Reeve, Assistant Curator at Glenstone, will juror this year’s show.
Anne Reeve is Assistant Curator at Glenstone, a private museum near Washington DC devoted to Modern and Contemporary Art. Her work supports an ongoing series of exhibitions and publications— most recently a large-scale survey and catalogue dedicated to late American artist Fred Sandback. Since joining Glenstone in 2009 she has also directed the institution’s Oral History Program, to date conducting over fifty interviews with artists whose works are part of the museum’s collection. Prior to 2009 she held positions with the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York; the Peggy Guggenheim Collection, Venice, Italy; the Chinati Foundation, Marfa, Texas; and Leslie Tonkonow Artworks + Projects, New York. Her writing has appeared in various publications, including Art in America and Art Papers. She holds a BA from Sarah Lawrence College and an MA in the History of Art from University College London.
All Mid-Atlantic artists (DC, VA, MD, PA, NJ, DE, WV) are invited to submit up to 4 jpegs of paintings or works related in some way to painting completed in the last two years and not previously exhibited at MPA. Work that combines painting with other materials or is conceptual in nature is acceptable and encouraged as well. Each of the submitted works must be avail- able for exhibit if chosen by the juror. Works must fit through an 36” x 82” doorway.
Cash prizes totaling $1,500 will be awarded by the juror. Decisions are final.
$25. We’ve gone digital! Apply online only: https://mpa.submittable.com/submit.
Artists may submit up to four digital images or up to 10 minutes of recorded material. Please do not email submissions.
A 25% sales commission will be retained by MPA on all sales. Work will be sold at the price listed on the typed image checklist unless marked Not For Sale (NFS).
Works are insured for the sales price minus the com- mission or the stated insurance value from receipt of artwork at the gallery through designated pick-up date and time.
Artists are responsible for shipping artwork (delivery and pick-up) to and from MPA according to the calendar.
All works must be received ready for installation with proper hanging devices attached and instructions where necessary. MPA reserves the right to refuse any work that is improperly presented or unsafe for display.
All accepted works must remain for the duration of the show. MPA reserves the right to photograph accepted works for publicity and educational purposes. MPA or the juror reserves the right to reject works that differ from the submitted image. MPA is not responsible for works left after the pick-up dates following the close of the exhibition. Submission of an entry constitutes understanding and agreement with all the conditions set forth in this prospectus.
- April 14: Deadline for on-line submission via Submittable (midnight)
- April 30: Artists will be notified by email of juror’s decisions. No phone calls please.
- June 4: Delivery of accepted art (2 – 5 pm)
- June 15: Opening Reception and Gallery Talk (7 – 9 pm)
- August 12: Last day of exhibition
- August 13: Pick up art (2 – 5 pm)
- APPLICATION Artists may submit up to four images. Entry must be made on-line via Submittable. You must create an account first. This will allow you to monitor the status of your application and receive notifications about your submission. You will only need to create the account once — if you have used Submittable before you can simply log in to your account to submit. Visit their website for more information: www.mpaart.org
- PAYMENT A non-refundable fee of $25 must accompany each entry. Payment is by credit card via Submittable.
- NOTIFICATION Whether your piece has been selected by the juror or not, notification will be sent to you via email. Please be patient with the gallery and be sure to provide an accurate email address.
For further information email Nancy Sausser: email@example.com