Deadline: January 25, 2019
The newest location of Busboys and Poets, Anacostia, located at 2004 Martin King, Jr., Ave., SE, is seeking southeast DC resident artist(s) for a mural or murals commission.
PROCESS OF SELECTING ART/ARTISTS
Interested southeast DC artists are required to submit an email of interest along with 5 to 7 sample images of their work to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 25, 2019.
Artists will be notified of their selection by February 8, 2019.
Based upon image and capability, Boys and Poets staff will select artist(s) to create an original ephemeral sketch on the wall of the Busboys and Poets, Anacostia on February 15, 2019 from 8 am to 8 pm.
Selected artists will receive $100 for the sketch. Art supplies (basic colors of acrylic paint, pencils) will be provided. Sketch will be used to determine style and ability, and is not necessarily representative of the final commissioned mural project.
Final mural will reflect the Busboys and Poets mission statement below:
Busboys and Poets is a community where racial and cultural connections are consciously uplifted… a place to take a deliberate pause and feed your mind, body and soul… a space for art, culture and politics to intentionally collide… we believe that by creating such a space we can inspire social change and begin to transform our community and the world.
Busboys and Poet staff will make final selection of commissioned mural artist. Mural to be completed by opening of new location by March 6, 2019.
- January 25, 2019: Submission email of interest accompanied by 5 to 7 images/portfolio to email@example.com
- February 8, 2019: Notification of selected artists to create ephemeral sketches on unfinished walls of Busboys and Poets Anacostia.
- February 15, 2019: Creation of ephemeral (temporary) sketch on wall 8 am to 8 pm.
- February 22, 2019: Notification of art commission
- March 6, 2019: Mural completed
For more information, contact Carol Rhodes Dyson at firstname.lastname@example.org.