Job Opening: Contact Carole Bernard at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301.864.860
Reporting directly to Gateway Community Development Corporation’s Executive Director, the successful candidate works 30 hours/week and provides overall support for Gateway CDC’s communications and marketing activities. The Assistant works closely with the executive director and arts program manager to achieve overall timely, accurate and relevant communications that advances Gateway CDC’s mission and activities. The Communications & Marketing Assistant works closely with the Gateway CDC staff to support the development and implementation of a refined communications and branding strategy. The Assistant also supports the coordination of communications activities such as updating the website and blog, developing and sending out eblasts, managing social media channels such as Facebook and Twitter, and editing and formatting print publications.
The Assistant, under the direction of the executive director, works directly with key program staff to provide guidance on communications strategies and messages. The Assistant will be motivated to work as part of a team as well as be able to develop new projects. Demonstrated ability to execute projects in a timely manner is required.
- Support the development and implementation of a refined communications and branding strategy.
- Work closely with the executive director and arts program manager to understand Gateway CDC’s messages as well as implement effective communications strategies and activities to publicly articulate messages.
- Support development and provide feedback on design and functionality of the Gateway CDC website, social media channels, and other products.
- Support the development, editing, and marketing of Gateway CDC’s communications products such as newsletters, blog posts, web pages, reports, fact sheets, and press releases.
- Update the website, send out eblasts and email newsletters, and develop and send out content updates for social media channels such as Facebook and Twitter daily or as needed, including for Gateway CDC and Gateway Arts District events.
- Work with the Gateway CDC staff to maintain the organization’s email distribution lists and listervs.
- Work with the board’s communications committee on its work plan, to design templates, reports, branding, and print materials as needed.
- Report and write on new topics and current economic development, arts district and art-focused trends for the Gateway CDC and Art Lives Here website, newsletters and social media platforms.
- Provide technical assistance to the Art Lives Here project staff.
- Support the executive director and arts program manager with other communications and new media needs as they arise.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Strong oral communication and public speaking skills with excellent verbal and written command of the English language
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to respond appropriately to unexpected challenges and shifting priorities
- Ability to work on multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to conduct basic online research
- Ability to work well independently as well as part of a team
- Ability to work and communicate within a culturally diverse environment
- Proficient in MS programs including Word, PowerPoint, and Exce land other standard office procedures and equipment
- Comfort using a content management system (e.g. WordPress), email newsletter platforms (e.g. Constant Contact) and social media tools such as Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube
- Interest in learning about new and emerging tools such as Pinterest,Instagram, Storify, podcasts, smart phone applications
- Interest in learning about community economic development issues and arts programming
- Basic graphic design skills or at least a good eye for it.
- Excellent project management and communication skills, and ability to meet deadlines while maintaining high quality work and attention to details.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a communications related field
- 1-2 years of progressively responsible work experience
- Any equivalent combination of training, education and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position.
Environment and Scheduling
- Interest in working with an community development corporation and within an arts district
- Interest in working within a diverse work environment
This position is classified non-exempt.
As an equal opportunity employer, Gateway CDC prides itself in celebrating diversity and does not discriminate in any of its programs, policies, procedures, or employment practices on the basis of race, color, national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, religion, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you are interested in the position above, please contact Carole Bernard at email@example.com or 301.864.860.
Gateway Community Development Corporation drives economic revitalization along the U.S. Route 1 Corridor through business and neighborhood development initiatives including promotion of the arts as a community building strategy. Gateway CDC works within the communities of Brentwood, North Brentwood and Mt. Rainier, MD and in collaboration with multiple partners to ensure the success of the entire Gateway Arts District. Gateway CDC is a 501c3 non-profit organization located in North Brentwood, Prince George’s County, Maryland.
The Gateway Community Development Corporation owns and operates the Gateway Arts Center and the 39th Street Gallery.