The Prince George’s African American Museum and Cultural Center (PGAAMCC) is seeking a Director to focus on building and growing the museum’s program offerings and community partnerships.
The ideal candidate is a creative thinker with superb organizational and management skills. For this role, a passion for Black history and culture and self-direction are a must and a resident or native of Prince George’s County is preferred. The candidate will be responsible for ensuring that the museum meets its current grant-funded objectives while being an active partner with the Board of Directors and other consultants to shape the next phase of the museum’s growth.
In the first year, the Director will be responsible for the following:
- Curating at least one (1) virtual or on-site exhibition from concept to installation.
- Managing the remaining aspects of one (1) currently planned exhibition.
- Developing and executing ten (10) community education programs.
- Managing the timeline for the museum’s capital improvement project.
- Organizing the museum’s existing records and holdings.
- Maintaining the museum’s membership database.
- Drafting written content for the museum’s website and social media platforms.
- Drafting written reports for funders.
- Serving as a liaison and bridge-builder with community partners and stakeholders.
In all aspects of their work, the Director is expected to work independently with the ability to select additional resources (within budget) to support the completion of certain deliverables. Those resources may include graphic design, installation, guest speakers/presenters, copywriting, and administrative support.
The candidate selected for this role will set the tone for a high-performing team at PGAAMCC. To that end, the Board of Directors is committed to providing:
- A flexible, performance-based organizational culture.
- Clear expectations and timely feedback.
- A work environment that supports personal growth and professional inquiry.
- An active and engaged Board to spur progress, not hinder it.
Please apply by November 12, 2021. This is a contract position to start no later than February 9, 2022. Initial contracts will be for three (3) months with consideration for renewal in three (3) month increments.
The successful candidate will be considered for a long-term permanent position with PGAAMCC.
For consideration, please send your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org . Type “I’m Your Next Director” in the subject line.
The Prince George’s African American Museum and Cultural Center is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the cultivation, preservation, and presentation of the cultural and artistic contributions of African Americans in Prince George’s County, Maryland. In addition to supporting and growing the organization’s annual programming, the Board of Directors is embarking on a years-long plan to build a new, state-of-the-art facility to be its permanent home in North Brentwood, MD.
Job Type: Full-time temporary contract position with possibility permanent full-time