The Pyramid Atlantic Art Center Letterpress Associates are crucial to keeping the typeshop running like a well-oiled Vandercook press. This work-exchange associate position offers a unique opportunity to engage with PAAC’s creative community, and work alongside professionals in a sharing/collaborative environment.
In exchange for working 12 volunteer hours a month for Pyramid Atlantic (10 onsite, 2 offsite), the Letterpress associate will have 24-hour access to studios and equipment and receive a 40% discount on most workshops. The Letterpress Associate also can teach classes, collaborate with resident artists, and sell artwork in the Pyramid Atlantic shop. The Letterpress Associates reports to the Artistic Director and the position is a three-year term. A year after the term limit is up, one can reapply for a position in this or another area/community studio.
Letterpress Associates are responsible for:
Running Happy Hours & Make & Takes (or Zoom & Makes) every month as a part of their volunteer duties. Happy Hours are 1st Thursdays of every month from 7-9 pm. Make & Takes (or Zoom & Makes) are 3rd Thursdays of every month from 7-9 pm
Acting as a representative and ambassador for Pyramid Atlantic:
- Greet guests, and give a tour if guests are interested.
- Exude pride in Pyramid and help spread the word about programs, classes, and events it offers.
- Answer general inquiries to students and visitors, such as open hours, studio rates, workshops, and the functions of each program studio.
Participating in PAAC’s creative community:
- Attend at least four staff meetings per year.
- Set an example for resident artists and studio interns.
- Answer customer emails in a prompt and professional manner.
- Participate in staff dialogue.
Demonstrate commitment to typeshop etiquette and best practices.
- Letterpress Maintenance and Program Assistance (8 hours a month)
- Typeshop maintenance includes ensuring that it is safe, clean and in working order.
- Duties include organizing type, cleaning presses, refilling solvents, etc.
- Examples of program assistance includes preparing and/or helping with a fundraiser or event, helping with letterpress calendar project, organizing typeshop clean-up day.
- Other duties are assigned as needed.
- This time is flexible but needs to be put on the calendar.
- Communication to stakeholders/students/potential clients (2 hours a month)
- Reply to emails in a prompt and professional manner
- Reach out to new or potential clients
- Promote happy hours and make + takes to students
- Experience working on Vandercook and/or Tabletop presses
- Experience working in a communal studio, co-op, art center, etc.
- Two years of teaching experience, preferably in letterpress printing
- Proven track record of leading in a culturally competent manner with a global perspective, preferably with experience working with diverse groups
- Significant professional activity, including solo and group exhibitions, press, published writings, invited artist talks, residencies, awards, etc.
- Ability to balance studio practice and other responsibilities with teaching and service to PAAC
- Leadership potential, with strong communication and interpersonal skills, along with the flexibility to work with other staff members
When teaching classes/workshops, an hourly contact fee breaks down as follows:
- 2-3 students in workshop-$50 an hour
- 4-6 students in workshop-$55 an hour
- 7-8 students in workshop-$60 an hour
When teaching a one-on-one lesson, assisting a Denbo fellow, or giving a certification, an hourly rate of $35 is paid to the associate.
Deadline: June 10, 2022