The Pyramid Atlantic Screen-Printing Associates are crucial to keeping the studio and darkroom thriving, relevant, and dynamic. This work-exchange associate position offers a unique opportunity to engage with PAAC’s creative community, and work alongside professionals in a sharing/collaborative environment.
In exchange for volunteering 12 hours a month for Pyramid Atlantic (10 onsite, 2 offsite), the screen-printing associate will have 24-hour access to studios and equipment and receive a 40% discount on most workshops. The screen-printing associate also can teach classes, collaborate with resident artists, and sell artwork in the Pyramid Atlantic shop. The screen-printing associate reports to the Artistic Director and the position is a three-year term. A year after the term limit is up, one can reapply for a position in this or another area/community studio.
Screen-Printing Associates are responsible for:
Running Happy Hours & Make & Takes (or Zoom & Makes) every month as a part of their volunteer duties. Happy Hours are 1st Thursdays of every month from 7-9 pm. Make & Takes (or Zoom & Makes) are 3rd Thursdays of every month from 7-9 pm
Acting as a representative and ambassador for Pyramid Atlantic:
- Greet guests, and give a tour if guests are interested.
- Exude pride in Pyramid and help spread the word about programs, classes, and events it offers.
- Answer general inquiries to students and visitors, such as open hours, studio rates, workshops, and the functions of each program studio.
Participating in PAAC’s creative community:
- Attend at least four staff meetings per year.
- Set an example for resident artists and studio interns.
- Answer customer emails in a prompt and professional manner.
- Participate in staff dialogue.
Demonstrating commitment to screen-print/darkroom etiquette and best practices.
- Screen-print and Darkroom Maintenance (8 hours a month)
- Ensure that the screen-print studio is safe, clean, and in working order.
- Duties include refilling reclaimer and degreaser, mixing emulsion, and tidying up the screen-printing studio.
- Other duties are assigned as needed.
- This time is flexible but needs to be put on the calendar.
- Communication to stakeholders/students/potential clients (2 hours a month)
- Reply to emails in a prompt and professional manner
- Reach out to new or potential clients
- Promote happy hours and make + takes to students
- Experience working in a communal studio, co-op, art center, etc.
- Two years of teaching experience, preferably in screen-printing
- Proven track record of leading in a culturally competent manner with a global perspective, preferably with experience working with diverse groups
- Significant professional activity, including solo and group exhibitions, press, published writings, invited artist talks, residencies, awards, etc.
- Ability to balance studio practice and other responsibilities with teaching and service to PAAC
- Leadership potential, with strong communication and interpersonal skills, along with the flexibility to work with other staff members
When teaching classes/workshops, an hourly contact fee breaks down as follows:
- 2-3 students in workshop-$50 an hour
- 4-6 students in workshop-$55 an hour
- 7-8 students in workshop-$60 an hour
When teaching a one-on-one lesson, assisting a Denbo fellow, or giving a certification, an hourly rate of $35 is paid to the associate.
Deadline: May 30, 2022