Deadline: March 16, 2020
Salinas Pueblo Missions National Monument is soliciting applications for its 2020 Artist-in-Residence program. Visual artists including photographers, sculptors, painters, writers, musicians, composers, performing artists and multidiscipline artists are welcome to participate.
Since 1916, the National Park Service (NPS) has cultivated creativity through 50 artist-in-residence programs across the United States. Thousands of artists have participated over the past century —including writers, photographers, painters and musicians, utilizing the natural resources of our National parks as a source of inspiration to provide a fresh perspective on the majestic natural environments.
Applications will be accepted for the 2020 season with postmarks dated no later than March 16, 2020. Applications postmarked after the deadline will not be considered. Notification of acceptance will be made by April 10, 2020. For 2020, Salinas National Monument will accept one applicant for an artist-in-residence position lasting for a maximum of four weeks between Aug. 1 and Nov. 30, 2020.
Presently, the monument is still working to arrange in-park housing for artists. in the event that housing in the park is not available at the time of the artist’s residence, applicants maybe eligible to camp at the site where full hookups will be made available at no charge.
For more information about the 2020 Salinas Pueblo Missions Artist-in-Residents program www.nps.gov/sapu.
All applicants will submit a CD or DVD containing:
- a detailed resume of professional experience, and
- a one-page Statement of Purpose for their Residency. Both must be in Word document format addressing:
- Relevancy of proposed project to Salinas Pueblo Missions National Monument
- Potential for personal growth during residency
Do not send paper copies of resume or Statement of Purpose.
- Visual Artists (photographers, sculptors, painters, etc.) One CD or DVD with eight images in JPEG or TIFF format. Each image not to exceed more than 3MB in size. More than eight images or images exceeding 3MB in size will result in disqualification. Video photographers send three copies of the same disc.
- Writers – One CD or DVD containing six pages of written examples.
- Musicians/Composers – Three copies of the same music CD
- Performing Artists – Three copies of the same CD or DVD
- Multi-discipline Artists – Send appropriate sample combinations based on the above.
Visual artists, excepting video photographers and multi-discipline artists may submit all materials on the same CD or DVD.
Application forms, CDs and DVDs will be returned only if accompanied by a large stamped, self-addressed envelope.