Deadline: Thursday August 15, at Midnight ET
Application Fee: Art League Member $10, Non-Member $25
For More Information: https://www.theartleague.org/event/illustration-exhibit-september-2019/
Juried by: Will Varner
Exhibit dates: September 10, 2019 – October 6, 2019
Opening Reception: September 12, 2019, 6:30-8:00pm
Illustration is a broad term for visual storytelling. It can be executed in any media, and serves a variety of purposes. As our culture has become more visually oriented the job of the illustrator has never been more important. From images in storybooks, to online media, to newspapers, illustrators help us process information about the world and activate our imaginations.
Participating artists are encouraged to submit works of illustration with no categorical restrictions.
Artists may enter any current work made within 5 years.
Award: $500 for Best in Show
- Entry to this exhibit is open to all artists: you do not need to be an exhibiting Art League member to enter. If you are accepted and are not able to personally deliver your work, please contact the gallery for shipping instructions.
- Entry fee: $10 for all Art League members, $25 non-members, for up to three works. Enter at theartleague.submittable.com/submit
- Images must be in JPEG format, 300 dpi, and no smaller than 2100 pixels at the longest dimension. All files must be labeled with artist’s first initial and last name.
- Space for this exhibit is limited. Pieces may not be larger then 320 square inches* (16″ x 20″ or any configuration of 320 square inches) including the frame. Works that are too large will not be displayed. Sculptors’ work should be proportionate to this size; width x height x depth equals 500 cubic inches or less.
- All works must adhere to the Gallery hanging and framing requirements. For 2D artworks, no clip frames are permitted and hanging wire must be attached to the frame, not the backing. 2D artworks must have hanging wire. No saw tooth hangers permitted. Canvases may be gallery wrapped with no visible staples.
- If the work weighs over 50lbs, the artist must install the piece themselves, if accepted.
Works are chosen by the selected juror’s curatorial vision and aesthetic.
Digital Submission Deadline: Thursday, August 15, 2019 by midnight. Enter Here.
They expect to notify artists of the results ten days after the deadline. Instructions for drop off of accepted artworks will be emailed to artists.
Accepted Artwork Drop-Off Dates: September 8 & 9, 2019 (times TBA)
About the Juror
Will Varner is an experienced art director, illustrator and story teller. He was the in-house illustration director at BuzzFeed for over four years and led a team dedicated to exploring the potential of illustrated content on all of BuzzFeed’s many platforms. While there he was one of the founding members and editors of BuzzFeed Comics which has over one million followers on Facebook and nearly one million followers on Instagram.
He earned a MFA in Illustration from The School of Visual Arts in New York City, NY and a BFA in Painting from Brigham Young University in Provo, UT.
He is currently an adjunct professor at SVA and has done freelance work for clients such as Adobe, Apple, Bloomberg Business Week, Tennis Magazine, Playboy, Nylon Guys, Cincinnati News, L Magazine, TimeOut New York, Movado Watches, Colgate-Palmolive, Tonka Toys, Basha Accesories, and more.