Deadline: September 21, 2019
an element of a culture or system of behavior that may be considered to be passed from one individual to another by nongenetic means, especially imitation.
a humorous image, video, piece of text, etc., that is copied (often with slight variations) and spread rapidly by Internet users.
The meme show is about you, the artist, ripping off, creating, interpreting memes and meme culture. We will accept entries from anyone 18 years old +.
There are 120 square feet of gridwall to allow for the display of artwork, but final word on selections for display will be at the discretion of the gallery curator and owner. All styles and media are welcome, but works must be finished and ready for display. We don’t require that you have an expensive frame (dollar store will do), but we do ask that any 2 – D work be framed.
The Meme Show will open at The Raw Ink Gallery on Tuesday, October 1st and run through Saturday, November 30.
Opening Reception will be Saturday October 4, 6-10pm.
Artists from across the US are invited to submit 2-D or 3-D work inspired by memes and meme culture. Digital entries will be accepted, but must be ready for display in “meat-space” (ie. in real life). The work can rely heavily on appropriation as is the nature of the theme, but must be the artist’s own work.
Maximum framed size may not exceed 30 x 40 inches. Freestanding sculpture must be accompanied by its own display support. Accepted wall pieces must be able to be hung and properly wired or mounted for hanging. We use grid-wall hardware to hang.
Three local business representatives will be the jurors.
To promote the purchase of your artwork at each reception, once art is purchased, the new owner is automatically entered into a RAFFLE CONTEST which the winning prize is a $100 amazon gift Card, handed out at the end of the night on the 5th of October (Sat. 6-10pm for the Opening Reception) and on the 30th of November (Sat. 6-10pm for the Closing Reception).
Entry Fee: Free
Send photos/digital files of up to 5 works for consideration to: firstname.lastname@example.org
With “Meme show submission” in the subject line and your contact information in the body of the message.
Sale of Work:
It is not required that your work be for sale. If you choose to make your work available for sale, the gallery commission is 30%, so please price your work accordingly.
- Final Entry Deadline: Saturday September 21, 2019
- Receipt of Work: Because the show opens October 1st, all shipped work must be received no later than Saturday, September 28th. Artist is responsible for shipping costs including return shipping.
- Local Delivery: Please deliver work to the shop during Raw Ink Tattoo Studio business hours – 1pm-7pm Tuesday-Saturday.
- Show opens: Tuesday, October 1st.
- Artist’s Reception: Saturday October 5, 6-10pm. Please plan to attend the reception in order to promote yourself and sales of your work.
- Closing Event and Last Day of show: Saturday, November 30th.
- Local Artists pick up work: Tuesday, December 3 – Saturday, December 7, 1pm-6pm.
The Gallery @ Raw Ink is located at 18630 Woodfield Rd. Gaithersburg, MD