Deadline: Friday, June 15 at 11:59pm
Zenith Gallery and the Washington Sculptors Group Present: Washington Sculptors Group’s 5@35
A juried group exhibition to celebrate WSG’s 35th Anniversary
Margery Goldberg, Sandy Bellamy, & Nancy Nesvet
About the Exhibition
This exhibition will celebrate the 35th anniversary of the Washington Sculptors Group. They are honoring the uniqueness of work created by its members.
About the Space
In the heart of downtown Washington DC’s Arts District, Eleven Eleven Sculpture Space is in a law firm’s public lobby. The building was completely renovated in the early 2000s. The lobby is designed with high ceilings, wood walls, and granite, stone and metal finishes. When renovated, the DC Government mandated inclusion of an arts space that became Eleven Eleven Sculpture Space.
About the Jurors
Sandy Bellamy runs the Percent for Art Commissions at the DC Department of General Services. Ms. Bellamy curates and manages competitive art commissions and acquisitions for DC public buildings including schools, recreation centers, shelters and other buildings. The Commission sponsors about 40-50 works per year representing all media, interior and exterior, two and three dimensional.
Margery Goldberg is the owner and director of Zenith Gallery, as well as the Executive Director and Founder of The Zenith Community Arts Foundation, a 501(c)(3) charitable organization in Washington D.C. Since founding Zenith Gallery in 1978, Ms. Goldberg has curated numerous Washington Area and traveling exhibitions; multiple Art League shows; and more than 100 corporate collections and projects, including major outdoor sculptures and a permanent installation at the Smithsonian Institution’s Air and Space Museum. She is a wood sculptor and is a member of the Washington Sculptors Group.
Sandy Bellamy runs the Percent for Art Commissions at the DC Department of General Services. Ms. Bellamy curates and manages competitive art commissions and acquisitions for DC public buildings including schools, recreation centers, shelters and other buildings. The Commission sponsors about 40-50 works per year representing all media, interior and exterior, two and three dimension
Nancy Nesvet is an internationally recognized art critic and writer/correspondent for Artscope Magazine. She writes the blog for Zenith Gallery, has curated numerous art exhibitions and has served as judge for art contests including Maret School, the National Science Foundation Vizzies and Visart’s Photo Competition. She holds a BA in Art History, an MFA in Studio Art and Theory and has taught Curatorial Studies at the University of Massachusetts Lowell.
The exhibition is open to members of the Washington Sculptors Group. Artists who are not already members may join WSG by paying annual dues of $45 ($15 for full-time students). New members may join by downloading a membership form from the web site, www.washingtonsculptors.org and making payment by mailing a check or through PayPal online. WSG members must renew their dues for 2019 to be eligible to apply to participate in this exhibition. The mailing label should read 2019 to show your membership is up to date.
- Artists may submit three-dimensional work, wall-relief sculpture, or mixed media installations.
- The space requires that no artwork shall be overtly religious, political or display nudity.
- Each artist should submit 8 works (only two images per work, for a total of 16 images).
- Jurors will select five artists for this exhibition, and may select multiple works from each artist.
- The space has tall ceilings, but work must be no more than ten feet tall. Hanging/wall work should be no more than 60 inches tall and 44 inches wide. All hanging work must be fitted with d-rings.
- Artists are strongly encouraged to visit the space before making their submissions.
- All artwork accepted must remain in the show for the duration of the exhibit. (If a piece is sold, we will replace it with a similar piece by that artist.)
- All accepted artwork must be delivered on Sunday August 18th between 12pm-3pm at 1111 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington DC, 20004. Work should be picked up on Sunday January 5th between 10am-12 noon at the same address.
- Artists are solely responsible for delivery of their accepted work on the installation date, and de-installation of their work on the pick-up date as specified above. Staff will be solely responsible for installations. (artists wishing to assist in the installation of their works are welcome to do so). The gallery cannot receive shipments of artwork and is unable to store work not picked up by the pickup date.
The 1111 venue will insure the artwork for the duration of the show but insurance during transit is the responsibility of the artist. A 50% commission will be taken on sales by Zenith Gallery, unless otherwise discussed.
The artworks exhibited will be posted on Zenith Gallery’s website and Artsy.com, unless otherwise agreed with the artist. Zenith Gallery will promote the exhibition with a printed mailing, evite, press release and through social media. Each artist will receive 100 printed invitations.
- Call for Entry Posted: April 29, 2019
- Submission Deadline: Friday June 15, 2019 11:59pm
- Jury Period: June 16 – July 17, 2019
- Artist Notification: July 22, 2019
- Exhibition Dates: August 19, 2019 – January 4, 2020
- Drop Off Dates/Installation: Sunday, August 18, 2019, 12pm-3pm
- Opening Reception/Meet the Artist: Wednesday, September 18, 5-8pm
- Artist Talks: Each artist will be able to present a solo artist talk on a Friday at 5. Specific dates will be announced later.
- Pick Up/Deinstall: Sunday, January 5, 2020, 10am-12pm
The Washington Sculptors Group is a volunteer, non-profit organization dedicated to promoting awareness of sculpture and fostering exchanges among sculptors, sculpture enthusiasts and the public. Organized in 1984, membership has grown to almost 400; WSG sponsors frequent public programs and organizes professional sculpture exhibitions juried by prominent curators. Visit www.washingtonsculptors.org to join WSG, to view the Web Gallery of members’ work, and to subscribe to the WSG newsletter.
Zenith Gallery Since opening our doors in 1978, Zenith Gallery has established deep roots in the nation’s capital and with artists and collectors across America. Throughout our history we have pushed boundaries and broken ground with an ever-changing selection of paintings, sculpture, neon, photographs, tapestries and mixed-media pieces that stimulate, engage and have profoundly enhanced our clients’ residential, corporate and public-space environments.
Now celebrating 41 years in the nation’s capital, Zenith is recognized for its unique mix of contemporary art in a wide variety of media, style and subject. The gallery provides high-quality acquisition, art consulting, commissioning, appraisal and framing services, through its gallery/salon/ sculpture garden off 16th Street at 1429 Iris St NW, WDC 20012. Zenith also curates rotating exhibits at the Eleven Sculpture Space at 1111 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, WDC 20004.
Call For Entries PDF Click to Download