Get $5 off advanced ticket purchases using code ECITYART
Some tour-goers search for an architect or home builder to work with on their next project; others hope to find a little inspiration; whatever the reasons may be, all tour-goers come to see a curated selection of DC-area homes that embody the unique modern architecture and design aesthetic of our nation’s capital.
On Saturday, October 5th, the Modern Architecture+ Design Society (MA+DS) and listModern (the region’s modern homes specialists, with TTR Sotheby’s International Realty) will present the 2019 DC-Metro Modern Home Tour. The annual event gives local architects, designers, and home builders the opportunity to showcase their work to the community in which they work. In turn, the self-guided tour gives the community an opportunity to engage the minds behind the designs and ask questions as they explore some of the D-M-V area’s modern homes inside and out.
“This is our third Modern Home Tour in the DC area, and we are so excited to return,” says MA+DS founder and president, James Leasure. “After two very successful years, we are looking forward to once again showcasing some amazing and impressive modern designs in the fall. Many of this year’s projects are incredible renovations and additions to area homes built in the 1950s.”
Six (6) homes have been accepted and confirmed for the 2019 DC-Metro Modern Home Tour. Participating architects and designers, and featured neighborhoods include:
- A dual modern (renovation and addition) upgrade to KUBE architecture’s principal’s 1950 mid-century modern home in North Kensington
- A modern renovation of a 1957 Garrett Park home that now affords multi-generational habitation, age-in-place living and required wheelchair accessibility for visitors and residents on the first floor, designed by Tom Wheeler
- A tiny mid-century modern home in Takoma Park renovated into a small modern one by McInturff Architects
- A brand-new modern renovation and addition to an Arlington 1950s brick rambler by Paola One Design that has been awarded gold level Arlington Green Home Choice
- A brand-new modern home in Fairfax that symbolizes a 2-year journey by the homeowners to customize their own home with help from architect Hyun Kim and KCI Design Build
- A shipping container in a Tenleytown backyard, repurposed and redesigned by Travis Price Architects, that currently serves as an art gallery
Returning as non-profit partner for the event is the American Institute of Architecture Students University of Maryland chapter. Students will help staff the event, in return for a donation to the club and the opportunity to use the tour as a fundraising vehicle, while also contributing volunteer hours and making connections in their field.
This year’s ticket also includes an afterparty at an seventh stop. The post-tour event is hosted by listModern and sponsored by Suntrust Mortgage and KVS Title. At this final stop, tourgoers can mingle and chat with participants, while enjoying light refreshments and the smooth sounds of local jazz band, Accidental Red. The afterparty will also feature art by DC-based American post-minimalist artist Joseph Shetler, whose works would fit perfectly into any home on this year’s tour.
Participating homes on the DC-Metro Modern Home Tour will open their doors for viewing from 11AM – 5PM on Saturday, October 5th. Tickets to see all homes are $40 in advance and $50 on the day of the tour. Ages 10 & Up are invited to attend. Details on participants and tickets can be found at www.dcmetromodernhometour.com.
About the Modern Architecture + Design Society: Based in Austin, Texas, the Modern Architecture + Design Society was founded was founded by James Leasure in 2010 as Modern Home Tours, to introduce modern architecture and living to people across the nation. Through fun and informative self-guided home tours in dozens of cities across the USA and Canada, the group invites people into some of the most exciting examples of modern architecture and design in the nation. With carefully selected architects, neighborhoods and architecture, the MA+DS Home Tours are unlike anything you’ve ever seen. Not only will you learn about the cutting edge of home design while on our tours, but you might even get an idea or two for your next home project!