Opening Reception: Thursday, February 28 at 7pm
This exhibition features four regional photographers who intersect in their approach to surface. Representational and abstract, static and moving: the works explore our perception of planes and depth in the two-dimensional image. The title, Surfacing, is also a double entendre, referring to the moment a photograph emerges from chemical bath in the traditional photo printing process. While the works on display were captured with digital cameras, each piece creates the same mystery and surprise that accompanies the reveal of an image.
Artists Kim Llerena and Veronica Melendez capture found images within landscapes and cityscapes that interrupt our perception of depth. Eddy Aldana and Julia Clouser present abstract images that leave the viewer unanchored by any sense of depth or orientation. Together, the works challenge the viewer to think about surface, both depicted and tangible.
- Artists in Fiction Book Club Wed, Feb 27 & March 20, 3 & 7pm
- Opening Reception Thu, Feb 28, 7pm
- Kids Talk & Tour Sat, March 9, 10:15am
- Recorrido de Arte para Niños en Español Sáb, 9 de marzo, 11:30am
- Curator’s Tour Sat, March 9, 1pm
- Visita del Curador en Español Sáb, 9 de marzo, 2pm
- Make It/Take It: Altered Books Fri, March 22, 7pm
Strathmore Visual Arts is located at 10701 Rockville Pike, North Bethesda, MD. For more information, visit www.strathmore.org or call (301) 581-5100.