Reception: Friday, June 24 from 5pm to 8pm
Terzo Piano is pleased to present A Recollection, an exhibition of work by Kevin MacDonald (1946-2006). During his long career, MacDonald was one of Washington’s most prolific and acclaimed artists; his work in a wide range of media and styles was featured in more than three dozen solo shows.
This exhibition features favorites from these exhibitions, starting with MacDonald’s early, meditative color pencil “unpeopled interiors” of the 1970s, and moving to deeper explorations of scene using pencil, pastel, and oils in the 1980s, to experiments with varied narrative structures in the 1990s, and to the large scale, emotionally complex paintings of suburban houses shown as “Home” at Adamson Gallery in 2003.
In addition, Terzo Piano will show a selection of works from the artist’s estate which have not been shown in decades, and some that have never been exhibited. One highlight from the latter category is “Cernunnos” (shown). This 56 x 50 inch painting on paper depicts a beloved public sculpture from Washington, DC, interpreted by MacDonald as the Gallic “monarch of beasts” and “lord of the forest.”
Kevin MacDonald: A Recollection, will open April 30 and run through June 30. A closing reception and several other events will be announced. The exhibition will be supplemented with the publication of a limited edition, full color monograph on the artist’s work.
- Exhibition Dates: April 30, 2022 – June 30, 2022.
- Closing reception and other events TBA.
- More info: www.TerzoPianoDC.com
- Instagram: @terzopianodc | Facebook: Terzo Piano DC Gallery + Bookshop
- Terzo Piano hosts a small bookstore, specializing in books on contemporary art and photography, as well as books made by visual artists. Visit when you come to the gallery, or shop online 24/7
- Wednesday, Thursday, Friday: by appointment, RSVP on website
- Saturday and Sunday, open 12–5, no appointment required
Admission to the gallery is free and open to the public. Masks required.
Terzo Piano DC is located at 1515 14th Street NW, Third Floor.