Event: Friday, October 12 from 7pm to 10pm
The Torpedo Factory Art Center stays open late on Friday, October 12, for the next Late Shift event. Folklore is an early-fall celebration of stories, traditions, and fall. Festivities run 7 – 10 pm.
- In Target Gallery, there will be a special reception for Juxtaposed. The exhibition focuses on the contradictory and conflicting. Artist talks begin at 8 pm.
- There is also an artists’ reception in the New Project Studio for Connecting the Dots 2.
- Fall post-grad resident Kelly Johnston welcomes visitors as she moves into Studio 319.
Paint Jam on the Waterfront
Curated by New Project Studio artists Shani Shih and Michelle Chen, regional artists come together to create original murals that will be donated to a number of Alexandria-based nonprofits and social-service organizations.
- Jamilla Okubo
- Gean Martinez
- Michelle Chen
- Shani Shih
- The Omi Collective transforms the North Hall of the Art Center into a lounge featuring two participatory art projects. Nicole Wandera leads kids from the Dunbar Alexandria-Olympic Boys & Girls Club on a work that will be donated to the club at the end of the night.
- Healing the Body leads a project with visitor that is dedicated to promoting painting as a mental wellness tool.
- Pop-up performances with Through the 4th Wall give visitors a peek at their new musical, 19, a story about women gaining the right to vote.
Find new art throughout the building. Torpedo Row features artists from across the DMV. Resident artists on all three floors keep their doors open into the evening.
Torpedo Factory is located at 105 N. Union St., Alexandria, VA.