Open House: Sunday, September 11 from 1pm to 3pm
Draw your way through this election craze. Join them this Sunday, September 11 from 1-3pm for their Fall Term Open House. Listed below are the drawing classes offered this term, which you can register through Paypal. Please check their website for paintings and workshops.
Instructor: Katie Pumphrey
Tuesday 7-10 pm
Instructor: Martin Wall
- An essential course emphasizing seeing and the principles of drawing from life: sensitive line quality, gesture, mass, volume, visual measurement, negative shape, the figure/ground relationship, and development of a personal handwriting. Students work from still life, interior space, the model and occasionally landscape. Each of the three academic terms has a slightly different focus (line, shape/value, and space/composition) making it possible to study the foundations slowly and in depth over the course of the year.
Instructor: Joren Lindholm
Instructor: Mary Freedman
- This is a foundation class for beginning and intermediate students. Working from still life, interior space and the figure, students develop an understanding of the basic principles of drawing three-dimensional form. Studies in line, shape, value, and positive and negative space are covered, with an emphasis in the fall on line, measurement, and planes. The foundation classes are run for the full academic year with a different focus each term.
DRAWING: SCALE AND FORMAT
Instructor: Katie Pumphrey
- In this course, we will explore scale + format through drawing. Considering the height and width of our drawings, the relative proportion of our subjects and relation to our bodies, we will experiment with different drawing mediums and subjects. We will learn how the physical size and relative scale of the work is crucial to our experience as artists and as viewers. Previous drawing experience suggested. Students should be familiar with the foundations of drawing and basic drawing supplies. Students should approach this class with an open mind and willingness to explore. Class may be repeated as new lessons will be explored.
Instructor: Diane Wilson
- This class is for students with some prior drawing experience. Emphasizing the continued refinement of perceptual drawing skills, the course concentrates on the structure, movement and expressive qualities of the figure. Students work towards a personal sensibility through a variety of drawing materials.
INT/ADV DRAWING: DANCE OF THE PLANES (Short Class)
Monday, October 24, 31, November 7, 14, 28
Instructor: Jill Phillips
- The interaction of planes and their potential for creating space, volume, movement and tension is a critical piece of the vocabulary of both observational and abstract drawing. We will work from the figure and still life in interior space to understand value shapes as planes that push us back into space, turn corners, and create rhythms as they react to each other and to the picture plane.
Washington Studio School is located at 1229 S. St. NW. For more information and to register, call 202.234.3030 or visit www.washingtonstudioschool.org .