Deadline for Submissions: Tuesday, February 18 at midnight
The Capitol Hill Are League announces its 2014 DC metro-area juried open call exhibit, to be juried by American University professor Dr. Alida Anderson. The exhibit is open to 2D and 3D work; cash prizes will be awarded for best-in-show and second place. The deadline for submissions is midnight, Tuesday February 18th, 2014. All entries must be submitted via the digital entry system. The exhibit will open with a reception on Saturday March 8th at the Capitol Hill Arts Workshop where the juror will give her remarks and prizes will be awarded.
All artists, 18 years of age or older residing in the Washington, DC metropolitan area are eligible to enter.
Juror: Kate Fraser
Catriona Fraser is the owner and Director of the Fraser Gallery, founded in 1996, and is a well known advocate and supporter of D.C area artists. Ms. Fraser serves on the Boards of the Washington School of Photography and the Capitol Arts Network. Ms. Fraser has served as President of the Art Dealers Association of Greater Washington and on the Advisory Panel for the Arts and Humanities Council of Montgomery County. Ms. Fraser is Chair of the Trawick Art Prize and the Bethesda Painting Awards, annual competitions that award $14,000 in prize money to artists resident in D.C, Virginia or Maryland. Ms. Fraser is the Director of the annual Bethesda Fine Arts Festival, a 2-day outdoor event that includes the work of 140 artists and attracts 20,000 attendees to downtown Bethesda.
- Selections for the exhibit will be made by the judge from JPEG images submitted by the artists.
- All work must be original and signed by the artist.
- Any work previously shown at a Capitol Hill Art League juried exhibit is ineligible.
- All work must have been created within the last three years.
- Up to 3 entries may be submitted for a non-refundable fee of $30 (current CHAL members $20).
- Up to two additional entries may be submitted at $5 each.
- Artists submitting 3- dimensional work may provide two images of each piece.
- Awards will be decided by the judge and will include cash awards for “Best in Show” and “Merit” awards.
- Two Honorable Mentions will be awarded.
- All awards will be presented at the opening reception and judge’s talk on Saturday, March 8, 2014 from 5:00-7:00 PM with the juror presenting her remarks at 6pm.
- A 25% commission on all exhibition sales is deducted from the pre-tax sales price.
- All work must be for sale, and the price submitted on the registration form will be the price presented at the time of the show for accepted work.
- Entrants must submit digital images in the online process at Smarter Entry.
- To enter, go to www.caphillartleague.org and follow the instructions there.
- Necessary info will include: title, artist name, media, dimensions, price.
- Digital files for viewing should be JPG format at 300 ppi, saved at high quality level with the longest dimension being 2000 pixels.
- The size of wall-hung work must be no larger than a maximum of 48 inches in either direction and up to 30 lbs.
- 3D pieces must fit on pedestals that are 12”x12”; no 3D work can be installed on the floor.
Notifications will be emailed to artists with accepted work on February 24, 2014. Artists will be responsible for the delivery of work to and pick up from the gallery within specified time frames: delivery is March 1, 3-5, 2014 during regular business hours at CHAW. See www.chaw.org for the up-to-date opening hours.
All work must be ready for display. All two-dimensional work must be properly matted and framed; no clip frames will be accepted. All 2D work must have hanging wires already securely fixed to the back. Three- dimensional work must fit upon a 12”x12” pedestal. ALL accepted art work must be clearly labeled with the same information that was provided at submission: artist name, title, and price.
The artist is responsible for any insurance on his/her work during the exhibition. (The utmost care is given to all entries, however the Capitol Hill Art League and the Capitol Hill Arts Workshop do not assume any liability for damage or loss before, during or after the exhibition.) Further information will be sent to the artists whose work has been accepted. Art work must be hand-delivered to the Gallery; no work will be accepted by mail or other delivery services. If the work delivered deviates greatly from the submitted original digital images, the Capitol Hill Art League reserves the right to decline the work. Any pieces delivered that are not exhibition-ready with proper framing, hanging wires, etc or bases for 3D work will not be exhibited.
Submission of .jpg files to this exhibition constitutes agreement on the part of the artist to all terms and conditions of this prospectus, including the right of the Capitol Hill Arts Workshop and the Capitol Hill Art League to use the .jpg images for publicity purposes.
- February 18, 2014—deadline for entries
- February 24 2014—Notification sent to accepted Artists via email
- March 1, 3-5 2014—Delivery of accepted art pieces during regular business hours at CHAW
- March 8, 2014—Artists’ Reception, Juror’s Talk, and Awards Presentation (5:00–7:00 pm)
- April 17, 2014—Exhibition closes
- April 18-19, 2014—Artists must pick up artwork on these days during regular business hours at CHAW
Download the complete exhibit prospectus and for full details on the exhibit, entry process, important dates, and awards visit www.caphillartleague.org.
The Capitol Hill Art League (CHAL) is a program of the Capitol Hill Arts Workshop. Located in the historic Capitol Hill neighborhood in Washington, DC, CHAL is composed of nearly 100 artists.. Each season CHAL mounts a series of juried exhibitions, both at CHAW and at external venues, with gallery talks at the openings. CHAL hosts lectures on art-related topics, offers workshops, and strives to develop a supportive artistic community. The greater Washington community is encouraged to participate in all of these events.